Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Making Peace with My Process

I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by amazing people in my personal and professional lives. Writers who produce high-quality books at a Patterson-like pace. Consultants who develop Ted Talk like workshops and speeches. Friends who are able to spontaneously reach out and connect with others better than those with PR teams. I feel so blessed.

And sometimes, I feel inadequate.

Okay, maybe I drift into feelings of inadequacy more often than I would like.

Here's what I've come to discover, though: my process is different than the people I mentioned above. Not better, not worse, just different. I don't write at the furious pace some of my author friends muster. That just isn't how I work. Could I be more efficient and produce more than I current produce - yes. But will I ever produce 5+ books every single year? Probably not.

When it comes to speaking, I am good - and while I might not spend the copious amounts of time my friends spend on their preparation, I know my talents in this area are strong and I am happy with my results. Could I develop even better ways to reach my audience - absolutely. Do I work on that regularly - of course. Will my process mirror some friends of mine? Nope. Their process is not my process. And that is fine.

With relationships, I have come to terms with the ups and downs of my introversion. I know when I can reach out and connect, and I know when I need to hide. I have learned to manage my intensities and reel in my expectations of others when needed. Will I be as adept as some of my more extroverted friends at the art of social connections - nope. Does that matter? Not really. My process is my own.

Ultimately, life is not a race. It's about discovering YOUR path, YOUR authenticity. It's about embracing everything it means to be you and pushing forward.

So, I may have had a ridiculous dry spell with my fiction. Coming back to writing may have been really hard for me. But it is all just part of my process. And I embrace it fully.

Do you embrace your process?


  1. Great post Christine. Thank you. This really resonates with me. Reading that someone else has similar "differences" helps me feel a little less inadequate. You are an inspiration.

    1. Thank you! This is just something I struggle with too. So glad you found this inspirational

  2. I love the title of your post, "Making Peace with Your Process." A tall order and one I've struggled with my entire life. And something I chide myself over every single day. I need several "me's" to take care of all the hats I wear and those hats often interfere with the way I'd like to conduct my writing life. Thank you for this!

    1. You are so welcome. I think most of us creative types have wrestled with at least some aspect of this on a regular basis!


Thanks for your input!