Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Preparing For NaNo: Five Tips From Someone Whose Finished And NOT Finished

Awe, yes - just over 2 weeks until the crazy that is NaNoWriMo begins. I have been participating in NaNo in some way or another for the last 5 years. Some years I finish, many I have not. And the thing that has made the difference - my level of both organization and commitment. I have learned a few tricks for NaNo: tricks that keep me writing, finishing, and having a draft that is not a complete train wreck! So, I thought I'd share my tips with all of you in the hopes that we all have an amazing NaNo experience this year.

  1. Tell everyone you are writing a novel in November. Then cook plenty of food for the family and warn them that you are basically out of commission for the month!
  2.  Outline if you want; but don’t worry about trying to do it “right” – just get words on paper
  3.  NO EDITING! Period!
  4. Find writer buddies – online or in person (or both), they will help you get through it all. 
  5. Set daily goals; if you miss a day, adjust the goals

I didn't finish NaNo last year - didn't even come close. But I have some lofty goals to finish out this year, so I plan on writing like a crazy person and FINISHING this year! Yep - that is the plan!

What about you? Are you joining me in the madness? You can sign up at the NaNoWriMo website if you haven't already. And be sure to “buddy” me if you do! (My username is Christinef).


Happy writing!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! I'm definitely planning on attending Nanowrimo this year.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!