Skip to main content

Susan Cain's QUIET - The Introvert's Manifesto

Happy Thursday! I don't know about you guys, but MAN...this week is zooming by at high speed. With the new look and new schedule, Thursday will continue to be dedicated to book reviews - all kinds of book reviews. Fiction, non-fiction. Adult, YA. Self-help, cookbooks...anything is game. Sometimes I will have links to other Bookanista reviews, sometimes not as the group re-organizes. The point is, Thursdays are all about whatever it is I am reading.

This that in mind I wanted to bring you Susan Cain's QUIET. As most of you know, I have a nonfiction book for parents and educators releasing next month entitled Quiet Kids. Part of the research for that book came from reading anything and everything related to introversion. Including this piece of pure mastery - QUIET:

Release Date: 1/24/2012


Basic Blurb: (from Amazon)
From the Introduction:
 At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society-from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.
Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how introverts see themselves.
Why I liked it: 

I will never forget finishing the book, rereading my manuscript for Quiet Kids and wondering why on earth I was bothering to write the book. I mean, Susan Cain had effectively said anything I wanted to say on the topic and done so with a level of pure brilliance. She is the epitome of the NF writer I would like to be. QUIET is a masterpiece, a manifesto giving voice to a often misunderstood segment of the population. Most important, she gives permission to every introvert to just be who they are!

Now obviously I figured out what to say in QUIET KIDS that would offer something new to the conversation, but I would be remiss if I didn't give a nod to the author and the book that has been the inspiration to so many introverts.

Thank you Susan Cain for your absolute brilliance. While I may not be in agreement with everything, I applaud your endeaver to bring into the light a conversation that most introverts would not have been able to have themselves!

Read this book - if only to see how a nonfiction book should be crafted.

What are you guys reading these days? Any suggestions for me?

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Collide and Transcend in Audio Format

    Wow - it has too long since my last post! A lot has happened over the past few months. First, I've decided to re-launch my entire backlist. What does this mean? New covers, new interiors, and, in some cases, new and expanded stories. It also means releasing the books in audiobook format. Audiobooks are something I've wanted to do for a while. And now it is finally happening.

    In December, I released the audiobook formats of Transcend and Collide - each with new covers and new interiors in the digital and print versions. I plan on revealing the new covers for the rest of the Solomon Experiment series (the sequels to Collide) later this month, with the actual books coming in late Feb and March/April.

    In Spring, I will begin the re-launch of the Requiem series, including significantly expanded stories for books 2 and 3, new covers, new titles and audiobook formats.

    I don't plan on only re-releasing books in 2016. In addition to the two new books in the Solomon Experiments, I ha…

    Crossroads Tour Day #5

    Welcome to Day #5 of the Crossroads Tour. I hope you are having as much fun as I am! Not sure what this is? Read the post on day #1.Did you remember to enter the giveaway for the Amazon gift card? CLICK HERE to enter.

    As I mentioned, I am giving away one ebook of COLLIDE during the tour. Just stop by each day, Monday through Saturday, and answer the daily question. I will randomly draw a name every evening. Easy, right?!?

    For today's entry, check out my Q&A at LITTLE LIBRARY MUSE and answer this question:

    Who am I trapped in an elevator with?

    Leave your answers in the comments. I will draw a random winner at 10pm PST on Saturday. Good luck!

    Day #4 of the Crossroads Tour

    Welcome to Day #4 of the Crossroads Tour. I hope you are having as much fun as I am! Not sure what this is? Read the first post.Did you remember to enter the giveaway for the Amazon gift card? CLICK HERE to enter.

    As I mentioned, I am giving away one ebook of COLLIDE during the tour. Just stop by each day, Monday through Saturday, and answer the daily question. I will randomly draw a name every evening. Easy, right?!?

    For today's entry, check out my Q&A at JESSICA BAYLISS and answer this question:

    What horror movie scared the heck out of me?
    Leave your answers in the comments. I will draw a random winner at 10pm PST on Saturday. Good luck!