Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Movie adaptations: Love 'em or hate 'em

Hey everyone! As I mentioned last week, my blogging is scarse as I get back into the groove with the end of summer vacations and the start of a new school year.

Things are going fabulously behind the scenes, with updates to the website and blogs, new books in nonfiction and fiction being planned out, and the completion of my Requiem Series. I will say, I think Dominus may be my favorite installment in the series yet!!! But more on that in future posts. Today is about the Blog Chain and a new topic.

Today's topic is brought by Michelle, who asks:

What is your favorite book-to-movie adaptation? Why? What's your least favorite and why?

I am a huge movie fan! Like HUGE. Something about seeing a story come to life on the big screen with all of the music, visual effects, etc - I just love it. This is not to say, however, that I love every book-to-movie adaptation. In fact, most of the time I don't.

Let me clarify that...most of the time I have to treat the two genre's completely separate from one another. When I do that, when I can go to the movie with no expectations derived from the book - that is when I can really enjoy each medium for what it is. The book for the skill of the author, and the movie for the interpretation in film.

Not all adaptations are horrible in my mind. Take the last couple of Harry Potter movies. I actually enjoyed HP 6 (pts 1 and 2) very much. I could "feel" JK Rowlings signature in the script and really felt like the movie captured the book, bringing the story to many who would not read the book outright.

Eragon, on the other hand, was a mess. The movie, though perfectly enjoyable on its own, significantly short-changed the book, leaving out what I felt were critical elements of the plot. Twilight is another movie that I felt missed the mark (don't throw things at me - this is only an opinion). The depiction of Edward's skin was enough to make me laugh out loud (not exactly appropriate at a theatre). The Host, too, was a miserable disaster in film, I think.

All in all, capturing a book on film is not always an easy thing. Books, by their nature, are complex and don't always lend themselves to film. But, when it is done right, when the material is used to inspire, it can be phenomenal. For me, however, adaptations will always be something I have to take as its own entity, trying hard NOT to compare them to their book counterparts.

What about you? What are your thoughts about theme? For more on this topic, check Sandra's post from yesterday and Katrina's tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about ERAGON being a mess, and the HARRY POTTER movies getting better...but so do the books. Great Post!


Thanks for your input!