Skip to main content

Wherein I talk about goals

Hey everyone -
picture courtesy of Wordle
As you can tell, I've been madly working on my branding - the blog, a website not yet revealed, etc. I've been reading a ton of branding articles (like this one by Indie Author Ali Cross), looking at literally hundreds of author websites and blogs, and researching marketing and branding.

In addition to that, I have been spending a lot of time thinking. That's right, stewing on what I want from my career: where I want to be in a few years, what I want to focus on, etc. It isn't that I never think about this stuff - I do. A lot, actually. It's more that I just haven't really determined what my short-term and mid-term goals are (long term goals I have in spades!). Yes, I know I want to write. And yes, I know I want to move into that direction with the hopes of eventually leaving or significantly modifying the day job. But what steps do I want to take to get there. Am I Indie bound, or do I want to look for an agent - a partner.

All of this stewing and contemplation has lead me to one important decision - I am definitely a hybrid kind of author, one who writes a variety of genres to a variety of audiences. And one who wants to be take advantage of the Indie possibilities AND partner with an agent to source more traditional publishing routes.

Developing a brand and a website, a hub about all things "me", that meets the needs of all that is tough. I thought about doing two or three sites, as many of my writing buddies do. But that is more work than I want to commit. After all, I NEED more writing time. That is why I switched careers, to secure more time to create. Not so I could build a social networking empire that pushed me away from my writing. So, I want to create a brand with a site that can meet my diverse needs.

Whew - no wonder this is taking me a while.

So, as I am contemplating my new branding, and determining the next stages of my career, I thought I would throw it out to all of you:

What are your short-term and mid-range goals? Do you have them? What about long term goals?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collide and Transcend in Audio Format

Wow - it has too long since my last post! A lot has happened over the past few months. First, I've decided to re-launch my entire backlist. What does this mean? New covers, new interiors, and, in some cases, new and expanded stories. It also means releasing the books in audiobook format. Audiobooks are something I've wanted to do for a while. And now it is finally happening.

In December, I released the audiobook formats of Transcend and Collide - each with new covers and new interiors in the digital and print versions. I plan on revealing the new covers for the rest of the Solomon Experiment series (the sequels to Collide) later this month, with the actual books coming in late Feb and March/April.

In Spring, I will begin the re-launch of the Requiem series, including significantly expanded stories for books 2 and 3, new covers, new titles and audiobook formats.

I don't plan on only re-releasing books in 2016. In addition to the two new books in the Solomon Experiments, I ha…

Crossroads Tour Day #5

Welcome to Day #5 of the Crossroads Tour. I hope you are having as much fun as I am! Not sure what this is? Read the post on day #1.Did you remember to enter the giveaway for the Amazon gift card? CLICK HERE to enter.

As I mentioned, I am giving away one ebook of COLLIDE during the tour. Just stop by each day, Monday through Saturday, and answer the daily question. I will randomly draw a name every evening. Easy, right?!?

For today's entry, check out my Q&A at LITTLE LIBRARY MUSE and answer this question:

Who am I trapped in an elevator with?

Leave your answers in the comments. I will draw a random winner at 10pm PST on Saturday. Good luck!

Day #4 of the Crossroads Tour

Welcome to Day #4 of the Crossroads Tour. I hope you are having as much fun as I am! Not sure what this is? Read the first post.Did you remember to enter the giveaway for the Amazon gift card? CLICK HERE to enter.

As I mentioned, I am giving away one ebook of COLLIDE during the tour. Just stop by each day, Monday through Saturday, and answer the daily question. I will randomly draw a name every evening. Easy, right?!?

For today's entry, check out my Q&A at JESSICA BAYLISS and answer this question:

What horror movie scared the heck out of me?
Leave your answers in the comments. I will draw a random winner at 10pm PST on Saturday. Good luck!