Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday Musings: Letting Go

Hi everyone! I can't believe we are half way through July...summer seems to be going SO FAST. And yet, as I reflect on what I have managed to accomplish so far, I can happily say it has been productive.

I spent this weekend cleaning out the garage among other things. My goal - purge the boxes and boxes of photographs and clean out the arts & crafts cabinets. It took more hours than I'd like to admit to get through everything, but I did it...I cleared out and organized 15 years worth of things.

When the work was done and I had a chance to reflect, I felt as though an enormous weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Not just because I could cross this off the to-do list finally. No. It was more than that.

Releasing the unnecessary, letting go of things that didn't make sense to keep, freed up the creative aspects of my thoughts, enabling me to think of new things, new ways to utilize some of the things I kept, new ways to use some of the pictures, etc. The cleaned out cabinets even motivated my husband to make new doors for the cabinets in the garage, something we had talked about for years.

The process also reminding me of writing and editing. When we are busy creating, we collect ideas and scenes, holding on to everything. We are hesitate to release the unnecessary, sometimes for fear that we may not get a new idea, or have the material we need later on. But what happens when we let go of the scenes that clog the plot. Or when we release the stories that aren't ready to be told? What then?

I am willing to bet that purging does more than spark creativity in our everyday lives. It sparks our artistic creativity too.

So, the next time you find yourself burdened by unnecessary things, your creative energy depleted...try purging something. Your Pinterest boards, your creative files, something. You may just find yourself renewed as you let go of the things that no longer serve purpose in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!