Friday, July 19, 2013

Living An Authentic Life: Confession Time

Happy Friday everyone. In sticking with my themes of late, I thought I'd share a little confession. I am fat. Not PHAT, but fat. You know, obese. Seriously so, actually. I also happen to be tall, so I hide my weight well. But that doesn't change the fact that my weight and BMI easily classify my in the obese range.

This isn't an easy admission for me. As a child, I managed my weight through extreme ways - juggling and eating disorder along with everything else. I alternated from anorexia to bulimia, all in an effort to manage a weight problem that didn't actually exist. It took years of therapy to no longer have body dismorphia and to see the truth of my size. But fixing that, changing that behavior, didn't solve some of the underlying issues. That took years more work.

Now, having come to terms with all that is true about me - the things that are broken, as well as the strengths I have as a result of my life experiences, I am willing to admit my weight problems and publicly commit to taking the weight all the way off.

I read somewhere that telling everyone you know that you are committed to something is a great way to own up to that commitment and honor it. So, here you go - me committing to a significant lifestyle change and taking off the weight that quite literally has the power to endanger my life.

I also read somewhere that doing what you fear is a great way to let go of that fear. So, telling you guys - something that is terrifying to me - that is my act of courage. One of them anyway...

So, for today's "things I Love" post, I am starting a fresh commitment to my lifestyle changes, committing to the exercise and eating habits I need in order to take off the 100+ pounds I need to lose. I have no illusions about this journey - I know how difficult it will be. But I am in it for the long haul.
I will post period updates to the process and let you know how I'm doing.

Until then, have a great weekend! Go out and do scary things...


  1. I wish you all the best in taking care of yourself and making the lifestyle changes needed to get healthy. I struggle with this same issues and am currently at my highest weight. Sharing this with your readers has encourages me to make some changes too. Thank you.

  2. Thanks for being so honest, Christine. I found I gained about 25 pounds in the 10 years I've been writing and blogging. A lot of it is sitting too much. Last May I decided to make some lifestyle changes to lose weight and I've lost about 12-15 pounds depending on the day. I try to weigh myself frequently so I don't let it get out of hand. And when I'm really inspired (not so much lately) I stand and work for a few hours at work or home. Good luck with your changes.


Thanks for your input!