Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Chasing Success - More or Less...


Happy Wednesday All! This time around, this round's topic started with Cole, who asks:
How do you define success? Is it getting published, making the New York Times list, or just finishing a novel?
This is a hard one for me, actually, as it changes on what seems and feels like an hourly basis. Originally, success was just completing a novel. These days, with looming deadlines I am not making, I would probably kill to just finish up some projects (okay, not really - but you get the point). 

After I had written a few things, it was about getting published. And then about getting decent distribution. And success has always involved readers enjoying my words. 

Now...now I think success means a combination of all of those things.

I have lofty goals for myself, so I suppose success means the accomplishment of those goals. But is also means being satisfied with my career and where it is going. 

And that, perhaps, is the true meaning of success for me - feeling satisfied with my journey in all of its paths. 

For more on this topic, check out Sandra's from yesterday, and Katrina's post tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Feeling satisfied with yourself is really important. I hope you get to achieve your goals!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Success is in the eye of the beholder. For me, it means eventual retirement. For some people, it's a status thing. For others, it's being able to do what they love. Whatever floats your boat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!