Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Moment of Reflection: Looking back at the last 5 years...

Wednesday is "tip" day and since I am feeling very nostalgic, I thought I'd talk about taking a moment to reflect on the journey we are on as artists. As I mentioned on Monday, my sixth book came out this week. Somehow I've managed to miss the impact of this to me...


That is crazy! If you had asked me several years ago if this journey would have resulted in three fiction and three nonfiction books, I am not certain I'd have believed you. Yet, here I am.

Like most writers, I live in a state of angst most of the time, measuring my progress by how far I still have to go to achieve my goals. That's silly! So today I wanted to share my journey in the hopes it might inspire me - and you - to stay the course. I have a long way to go still, but wow....I just published my sixth freakin' book!

I started writing with the intent of publishing in May 2008. By August 2008, I had penned my first novel. It was junk. Yep. SERIOUS junk. The rest of my timeline went something like this:

  • August 2008 - discover Querytracker and dare to query the bad novel
  • Nov 2008 - participate in NaNoWriMo and write the sequel to the bad novel
  • Dec 2008 - meet first critique partner, realize HOW BAD the novel and query letter are and stop querying immediately!
  • Jan 2009 - Aug. 2009 - rewrite and requery first novel
  • June 2009 - Query Emotional Intensity - get lots of interest
  • August 2009 - Sign with my first agent
  • Nov 2009 - Write Lacrimosa and sell Emotional Intensity
  • Dec 2009 - Abandon first novel and work on editing Lacrimosa
  • Jan 2010 - Agent decides she may represent Lacrimosa and we work on edits. She was a nonfiction agent only at the time
  • Feb 2010 - sell another nonfiction book - 101 Success Secrets
  • April 2010 - Agent decides NOT to represent my fiction and I start to query
  • April 2010 - Oct 2010 - Query Lacrimosa. Many many requests, no offers.
  • Oct 2010 - First Book Released - Emotional Intensity
  • Nov 2010 - Jan 2011 - Write Transcend
  • Jan 
  • Feb 2011 - Stop querying Lacrimosa and work on polishing Transcend
  • March 2011 - Second book released - 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids
  • May 2011 - My agent and I part ways
  • May 2011 - Dec 2011 - begin querying Transcend. Even more requests. Still no offers. Book developer takes to acquisitions, but no offers. I call this my "so-close, yet so far" period!
  • Nov 2011 - I sell Lacrimosa and its sequels to Compass Press and decide to take a different route for my career
  • Jan 2012 - My first short story is released
  • Feb 2012 - I sell my third NF
  • March 2012 - My first novel is released
  • April 2012 - I sell Transcend to Compass Press
  • May 2012 - I sell my fourth Nonfiction title
  • June 2012 - Another short is released
  • Sept 2012 - Transcend is released
  • Nov 2012 - Libera Me is released
  • Deb 2012 - Anthology released
  • Jan 2013 - I decide to take my career to a different place and again pursue an agent. But, I have books on contract that need to be finished first
  • April 2013 - Another short is released
  • May 2013 - The Girl Guide is released.
Very exciting to see the journey this way, and something I probably should have done a long time ago. It is crazy easy to think you aren't making progress, to compare yourself against others. The truth is, I have done a lot in a pretty short amount of time.

2013 will continue with two more releases (July and Oct) and the start of querying. After crafting the timeline, I can honestly say, I am more excited than ever to see what is in store for the future...

How do you reflect on the past and let it motivate your future??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!