Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reading, Reading and More Reading...

As I have mentioned before, I am focused on self-nurturing in 2013. This includes the writing aspects of my life. In other words, I am focusing a lot of energy on improving my craft as an author. And one of my favorite ways to do this...

Reading.

A lot of reading!

Last year I read 50 books. 



Christine's 2012-reads book montage

Private
Surrender
Clockwork Prince
City of Lost Souls
Forever
Wolfsbane
Shut Out
The Secret of Spruce Knoll
Resist: A Possession Short Story
Born of Fire
A Million Suns
Untraceable
Everneath
A Temptation of Angels
Private:  #1 Suspect
Wanderlove
In Honor
To Ride A Puca
The Immortal Rules
Gift

Some were re-reads, others new reads. And in no way did I read as many as I wanted to. So, this year I am aiming for a few more - 75 to be exact. In truth, I am hoping for more. But with the added meditation, the "work" for the Artist's Way and some other things, I want to also be realistic. So, a book a week seems a great place to start.

First up, a book I started in 2012 but abandoned - Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson. 

Oh, I know, it's an easy read. But hey...it's a books, right?!?

How many books are you hoping to read this year? Do you set reading goals?

4 comments:

  1. Easy reading is damn hard writing. -Nathaniel Hawthorne

    Which is funny Hawthorne says that, because the scarlet letter is an incredibly obscure story. I hated his run-on sentences with a passion.

    But I digress. I totally do reading goals. This year it's 60. :) I'm already four books up, and three of them were novellas. The thing is, just because a book is 'easy' doesn't make it any less valid. One could argue 90% of YA is 'easy' reading, but if you enjoy it, who cares?

    A book is supposed to be an easy read that sucks you in. Hell, George RR Martin does it for me, and his books are over 1000 pages long. That is some talent. And I consider him an easy, if long, read.

    Don't be afraid to abandon a book if it bores you. I do all the time. It's waste of YOUR valuable time. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I set my goal at 150. I did 140+ with novellas this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't set any book reading goals and I have no idea how many books I read last year. I only read at night, at bedtime - unless I find a book that I can't put down and then I sneak-read throughout the day :-) Maybe this year I'll keep track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read hundred books but sadly I am running out of time. Being a student means study, study, study...so busy, busy, busy. To top it off I am learning a new language, self defense and writing my own novel all the while working on the college magazine...So hopefully I will be able to read at least forty novels.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!