Monday, January 7, 2013

Jumping Back Into Life!

It's back to the grind time for me, and with that, back to the day job. I woke today with mixed feelings about that - on the one hand, I am excited to get back to the structure of the daily grind, the routine of it all. I have a set time to get-up, a set amount of things to accomplish, and specific time frame for it all. On the other hand, I will miss the freedom the time off brought - the ability to wake up and go see a movie just because. Or the ability to stay in my PJs all day.

These thoughts remind me of my writing process...the dance between the draft and the revision processes. Both have qualities I loathe...both have things I crave. 

With drafting, I love the freedom to just write, unedited...to create something - without rules, without worries. With revisions, I get the structure I also crave. The ability to mold and shape the mess I drafted into something more than what it was originally. 

In reflecting about this I realize, I actually need both aspects of the creative process. Crave them both. 

For a long time I resisted the drafting part. My CPs have heard me angst more than once. But as I think more about it, I realize there is so much to both aspects of creating - of writing - that I love. I just need to accept the processes for what they are and stop trying to make them something else. Drafting is not editing. And revising is not drafting. They both have their own purpose. And I need/want/crave them both.

What about you? How are you after the Holidays as you get back tot he routines of life?

I am working on a schedule for the blog and should have something in a few days. In the meantime, be on the look out for more exciting news SOON!!!

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm all over your first paragraph. I have mixed feelings, too. Had a rough last half of 2012, so any new writing projects took a backseat; I only had time for agent edits. Today is the day I'm back - plotting, character developing, and mapping out my sequel and a new YA story. Miss the freedom of doing what I want when I want, but getting some structure back is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!