Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How Dark is Too Dark?

Happy Wednesday All! Time for another Blog Chain round. I started this one...and clearly I wasn't looking at a calendar as the topis is a little bit dark:

I've been described as a writer of highly emotional and dark stories. So much so, that some could not read Transcend saying that while it was "beautifully crafted and written", the story was just too dark. So I ask you...How dark is too dark for your aesthetic  And is writing "dark" and "emotional" a  bad thing?

Like the paragraph above states, I am a dark writer. But I never set out to be that - I really didn't set out to do anything other than tell the story that my characters wanted to tell. Yet, as I look at the stories already in print, and those coming out I can't argue that the

Personally, I consider writing a courageous act - whether you are writing something dark, or something light. So, writing the "dark" stuff doesn't bother me at all. It's just part of the job. That said, I am not one to write gore or risque scenes just for the shock value - it all has to be part of the story for me to want to write it.

While my emotional stories may not be for every reader -- okay, yes, it is really NOT for every reader I guess -- my commitment is not only to my readers, but also my characters. I see my job as crafting their authentic story. So, sometimes, I guess, that means it'll be dark. But isn't life? Aren't we emotional, and messy, and dark. For me, writing about these things is simply telling one aspect of life - one we may tend to shy away from.

What about you? How do you feel about the dark, emotional stuff? For more on this topic, check out Sandra's from yesterday, and Katrina's post tomorrow.



  1. I love dark and emotional, it is my bread and butter. But you know that. ;) And yours is absolutely divine.

  2. I write dark stories too. I think because of the darkness I had in my life up till a few years ago. I've always kind of been drawn to horror stories as I got older and then went through an abusive marriage and it just kind of manifested in my stories. My characters go through some chilling, godawful stuff. But I write about how they survive it, so to me, it's showing that anything can be overcome if you set your mind to it.


Thanks for your input!