Friday, November 30, 2012

A Month Filled With Gratitude

Happy 11/30 everyone. I, for one, can't believe the month is over. It seemed to go by so fast. Before you know it we will be working on goals for the new year.

As most of you know, I focused on gratitude for the month. It was a profound experience for me. After a month of really struggling with regards to many things in my life, the gratitude experiment shifted my focus and opened my heart. I went back to meditating. I started rolling with life's punches. It was a beautiful journey.
This week has brought both the anniversary of my mother's death and changes in my personal life (nothing bad...just change). With that, the new-found gratitude taking root in my heart was challenged. Some days, I fared well. And others...others were profoundly challenging. At first this shift rattled me. But, I woke this morning remembering that this is life...we have our ups and we have our downs.
And this is writing, too....
We will have periods of great joy, great productivity. And there will be times of profound angst and sadness. It is just the way of things.
For me, it's about not attaching to any of it - not the joy or the sadness. It's about enjoying each moment, practicing discernment and detachment, and moving forward.
I've decided to extend my gratitude practice for the rest of the year as I work to continue to establish this habit.
Did you participate in a gratitude journey? What is your take away lesson/experience?

1 comment:

  1. What you share today is pretty deep, but for myself, I'm increasingly aware of where I was, where I could be and the tons of possibilities before me. I try to remember that each day is a day to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!