Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The NEXT BIG Thing (A Tag-fest)

I am thrilled be have been tagged by C.M. Keller, author of Screwing Up Time,  as part of The Next Big Thing, Week 16.

This meme is a chance for authors to tell you what they are currently working on - their next novel. Authors answer several questions and then tag other authors.

Since I am currently working on several projects, including the final in the Requiem series, and other companion/series novels, I thought I would focus this post on something new...something exciting...something different...

What is the working title of your book? 
As of right now, the working title is Beautiful Mess.


Where did the idea come from for the book?
After I finished Transcend, I brainstormed two additional psychological thrillers, just in case I found representation and sold the book - I wanted the potential for a multiple book deal. Needless to say, things went a little differently than I had planned. So now that I am exploring the wealth of opportunities authors have now, I decided to dust off the idea and get it written!

What genre does your book fall under?
This is a YA modern psychological thriller.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

This is tough for me. Unlike most authors, I don't use pictures, etc to form my characters. They are formed from the inside out, and I usually don't have a clear picture of their appearance until later in the creative process. So, I am going to have to wait to answer that one, since I am early in the process.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Hmm...how about this:
Love and obsession; what do you do when the one protecting you is the one stalking you?

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Here's the big new tidbit...I am actually going to jump back into the query pond with this one. And if I am unsuccessful, we'll try the small press route, just like I did with the Requiem Series and Transcend.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Well, I am in the first draft process now. Or should I say, I will be once I get past this month and the release of another book and edits on a short. Then it's all about this novel!!!  I do have it fully outlined and about 30% complete. So, I'll finish it up in between NaNo and the end of the year.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Another good question. I would compare it to Transcend and works within the adult psychological thriller genre (Dean Koonz, etc). There are just very few psych-thrillers in YA or NA, so not a lot to compare it too. I guess you could call it .... no, never mind. This one is very unique.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

This was absolutely inspired by my experience writing Transcend. Working on that book gave me a taste of psychological thrillers. Since then, I have planned out several additional psychological or suspense thrillers that I am looking forward to writing at some point.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Hmm...I would say this: If you like my other novels, enjoy psychological thrillers and a good mystery, this book is for you. Just be forewarned...the ending will blow you away! (yes, I wrote the ending first this time. LOL - at least, the basics of it.)

There you go - the scoop on my WIP.

Here are some other writers who will share their upcoming works next week:
Lisa Amowitz, author of Breaking Glass
Michelle McLean, author of Treasured Lies
Rebecca Enzor,  


5 comments:

  1. I LUV the title!! I'm already picturing the cover art. Whoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful WiP. I hope you are able to score big getting back into the query pond. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's where the rumor that you were querying again came from! Good luck to you Christine! *loves*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!