Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Rose By Any Other Name...2.0

I'm so excited to let everyone know that my Blog Chain has been reorganized and re-started! These are such a great group of writers, and I am thrilled to be part of this. 

This time the topic comes from Kate who asked the following:

What's in a name? What if Harry Potter had been Larry Snotter? What if Edward was Jacob and Jacob was Edward? What favorite books had character names that you loved or hated? And how do you come up with your own character names? 
(And for the record, I had no idea we named our post the same thing! SO FUNNY!!! So I added the "2.0"!)

Names...I love names. I think they often reveal subtle things about the character. For me, I am as careful with the names I pick as I am about anything else. I research the meaning, make certain it matches my intent, etc. Names are kind of a big deal to me.

I remember being asked by someone to change Azza's name back in the early days of Lacrimosa. She wanted me to have it start with something other than "a" since Aydan's name started with "a". Man! What an impossible task. I tried a million options, and nothing! See, Azza was picked deliberately - short for Azzaziel, it is a name from mythology and completely perfect for the character. I couldn't change it. Not even close. It would have felt like changing my own name.

So I fought back, refused and yes...his name is Azza!

I get attached to names with characters. So, to the earlier part of the question, I couldn't change anything about the names of the characters I know and love!

Okay, that's it from me. I've been working 14 hour days and desperately finishing up a project. Time to go back and hide in my day job and writing cave.

For more from us about names, check out Sandra's from yesterday, and Katrina's post tomorrow.


PS - Don't forget about the ongoing tour. There are reviews out today, and more chances at the character giveaway.Click here for more info.  And be sure to come tomorrow for a SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!


  1. It is so hard when someone suggests a name change for a character! For me, it takes a long time before I can think of that person when I see the new name. Kind of like when my second son was born. We had decided to name him after my father. But for the first few months, every time I said his name, I thought of my dad, who is still living. Even now sometimes we get the little one confused with the big one. My mom was just calling upstairs for her husband while we were visiting last month, and my two-year-old started to cry because he thought she was yelling at him. Tragic!

    Off topic: By the way, I've been reading 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids with my first grader. He is a little young to understand it all fully, but it helps to talk about how he is different. He had just asked me on Sunday, "How does [my little brother] be good all the time?" He's my intense boy. Thank you for your work on intensity in gifted children!

  2. EEK! Special announcement.
    I don't know how you authors do it, come up with names. It's so hard. My friend is writing and asking me to help with names, ugh, I just can't! I'm so not able to be creative!
    Looking forward to more posts from you!

  3. Great post Christine - I especially love the title! ;) It must be true- great minds do think alike.

  4. I get really attached to my main characters' names - my side characters' names get changed a lot though lol


Thanks for your input!