Monday, July 30, 2012

Why Do You Read Blogs?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!


I know, I know...you are all thinking "Dude! It's the end of July. That's the MIDDLE of the year, not the start of a new year." And yes, that's true. Unless you work in education. See, if you work in schools, your year is inevitably marked by the school calendar. And in Temecula, CA, that means August always starts a new year.

Now, I've worked in education for more than 15 years, so I am completely entrenched in the "New Year" feeling that always comes as July ends and August begins - a feeling marked by excitement (new clothes, the routine of the year), sadness (does anyone ever really want to give up summer), and apprehension (what will the year bring).

This year is no different (even though my 'summer' was much much shorter with my new job).

The start of a new school year is also marked with the need to clean and reorganize, set new goals, and clarify my purpose (Wow, really does sound like New Year's Day, doesn't it). So, it is in that vain that I bring this post...

I've been thinking a lot about why I blog and whether or not it is just a bunch of static in an already noisy world. Much of the time I think it is. And that is NOT what I'm about. At all.

My life has always been dedicated to bringing people user-friendly information that is both practical and entertaining. It's been about sharing pieces of myself in the hopes that my experiences can help others. Whether I am working with kids or families, developing programs or giving trainings, lecturing or writing, my purpose has been the same.

I don't feel my blog has always stayed focused on that point. Yes, I try to stay authentic. But many times I think my posts are just noise.

Now, before you going thinking this post is about my stepping away from blogging completely, or me looking to a pep talk from all of you...that isn't what this is about.

No, I just want to get back on track with my blogging - all of my blogging (here and in guest posts) and make certain I am moving forward in the right direction...

So, what does this have to do with anything?

Well, I am going to continue blogging on a M, W, F basis. And I am going to do my best to bring fresh, meaningful content to each post. But I need your help to do it.

Why do you read blogs? What kind of content do you hope to find? Writing advice? Book reviews? Real life anecdotes about this journey of writing and publishing? Teasers on upcoming projects? What?

I have an idea of what I want to bring to this blog in the months to come, but I always want to hear from all of you; and since the readership of my blog has changed a bit since I first started, yea....I need your input.

So please take a minute to leave me a comment and tell me what you look for in a blog and the content.

I appreciate your insight and your time!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I mostly read book blogs. I like to see the person's review of books I might like to read. Gives me ideas to add to my TBR (not that it has to be any longer than it is). I also read blogs of my favorite authors (hello, I'm here, right?) because I want to know what's going on with their writing, what books they are into, what they are writing, where they will be if they are signing stuff, what they might be offering to readers (ARCs, beta reads, etc). I myself would love to write, but I just don't have the time, and I haven't found that connection to my imagination that I really need. But I do like to hear what writers and authors say about writing. And I'm a huge fan of teasers, upcoming projects, cover reveals, etc. Anything to do with books, especially those I love and those I am HIGHLY anticipating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at the point where I read blogs very sporadically. It was just taking up too much of my time to blog three to five times a week AND read everyone else's blogs AND work on my novels. I don't really post on my blog much these days because I feel like I've said it all before.

    I guess that my blog served a purpose for a while: helping me to get to know the industry and the people both in the business and those who aspire to be. I've made great friends and contacts, but many of those folks have cut down blogging to concentrate on writing (or families, etc), too.

    As for other blogs, I don't check them as often if I'm not posting on my own blog as often. I no longer search for posts with information like "what do agents want to see in a query" and "how to write a perfect synopsis". These days, blog posts catch my eye if they're posts from authors, or folks I "know", or someone is reviewing a book. Which means I'm reading more book review blogs than writerly posts nowadays. I read blog posts about Social Media in the hopes that I might remember to use Twitter every now and again. But I'm not commenting as often as I used to because I don't have much to contribute other than a thanks to most conversations.

    Author posts I find the most interesting because I'm curious about the aspects of publishing that they have experienced, aspects that I have yet to experience. And of course, info on their upcoming books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading personal experiences --especially when I can relate to them in some way. It would also be interesting to read how you got started writing and getting published in the first place and all that goes in between --the process of writing the first draft, a day in the life of editing your manuscript, how you research, etc. Even if you've written about it before, I think it's completely fine to write about it again, because, A) You are continually getting new readers to your blog who haven't read it all before, and, B)Sometimes your processes may change depending on what is going on in your life, or your particular project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!