Friday, April 27, 2012

Short stories - love 'em or hate 'em?

Happy Friday all!

Today's topic is shorts. No, not the kind we pull out for summer, but short stories - novellas, novelettes, etc. As most of you know, I have written novellas and shorts as ways to bridge parts of the Requiem series, and I have to say - I LOVE writing them.

But I am curious...
Do you guys like reading them?

I'll be honest, I typically don't read shorts unless it is by a friend or recommended. I just don't typically source them myself. And that got me thinking, what do you guys do? Do you read the various shorts that are out these days? Why or why not?

And while you are pondering that answer, I have some news...

I am writing a NEW short for a NEW series as part of an anthology being published by Compass Press. The proceeds from the anthology, called WINTER WONDERS, will go to benefit literacy programs, something near and dear to my heart!

For my story, I am delving into the world of the Seers, originally introduced in LACRIMOSA, and I can't wait to share it with you. Look for WINTER WONDERS out this winter. WOO HOO!!!

And now, back to my question - what do you feel about short stories? Like 'em? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Lay it on me.


  1. I like short stories, and I used to read them a lot when I was younger. When I began writing them, it gave me another appreciation for them.

  2. I love writing (and reading) short stories, especially shorties. Not sure why. Probably because structuring a story in less than 500-700 words can prove very challenging. I use writing them as a personal exercise.

  3. Yay for Winter Wonders! I'm looking forward to it so much! I love shorts. They are nice for vacation reads especially.

  4. I don't usually seek them out. I will read ones that are recommended or by an author whose writing I enjoy. But there's no special feeling one way or the other for them. I just love a good story, no matter how short or long.

  5. I like short stories. When I was traveling, I wouldn't be on the plane long enough to finish a book, but I could read a couple of short stories and still have time to do the sudoku in the airline magazine. From a writing standpoint, they're more challenging, but don't require as much middle as a full novel does.

  6. I do like short stories and I enjoy reviewing them. It is a challenge to do a review without giving away the story and it challenges me.


  7. I didn't read shorts much, until I made an effort to look for them, inspired by my friend Elizabeth Twist, who is trying to read a short story a day in 2012! I'm really starting to enjoy the ones I'm reading, though I haven't gotten to read that many yet.

    Boo for making me prove that I'm a human. :(


Thanks for your input!