Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happy Release Day for PIECES OF US



HAPPY THURSDAY everyone! Welcome to another edition of Bookanista Thursday. I am EXCITED to be talking with PIECES OF US author, Margie Gelbwasser on the day of her release. EEP! I have the book loaded up on my iPad ready to read (once I finish two others I am working on). Before I bring her interview, though, here's what the rest of the Bookanista's are up to:


Carolina Valdez Miller adores WANDERLOVE - with giveaway
Megan Miranda celebrates SLIDE – with giveaway
Jen Hayley takes a shine to STARTERS
Stasia Ward Kehoe discovers THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOU AND ME
Tracy Banghart  gives a shout-out to SHUT OUT
Jessica Love wonders at WANDERLOVE


And now, my special Bookanista interview with Margie Gelbwasser: 
About the Book:
  • Give me the blurb for the book in 140 characters or less:    Pieces of Us is told in four POV, one of them second, and tackles bullying, abuse, and how one teen's actions affect the other three.
  • Do you have a fav character and why?  Definitely. Kyle is my favorite because he is the only one in the story who has the most innocence. I just want to hold him and tell him everything will be ok. Out of all the characters, I feel he has the least say in what happens to him.
  • What do you hope readers will get from your book?    I hope those who read this will have the courage to break the silence of abuse and bullying. Whether they are the victims or know someone who is, it is important to speak up. Victims don't because the abuser makes them believe that silence will reduce the bullying or victimization, but this is not the case. Silence does not stop the bullying and abuse. More often than not, it only escalates it.
About the Author:
  • What inspires you?    The real world is an inspiration to my writing. My YA novels are contemporary fiction so my ideas come from what I see. 
  • Hardest aspect of writing? Best?   The hardest aspect of writing is not the writing. It is how one must finish the book and then let it go into the world with no say how it is being read (or even if it is being read). There are some reviews I have read that leave me wondering how the reader read the book in this way. As writers, we know our characters and their motivations best and we become very connected to them and the story, so we sometimes take it personally (ok...more than just sometimes), when readers don't see what we do. As for the best part, that has to do with readers also. When readers tell me they connected with my books and thank me for telling their stories or when they say it's been months since they read a book of mine and they still can't get it out of their heads, it means so much. To know what I wrote meant something to someone is everything. 
  • Who is your writing hero?    There are so many. Any author who chooses to push the envelope in terms of writing and break through barriers to get his/her word out there, paving the way for other writers to do the same, is a writing hero to me.
  • Randomness:
o   Sweet or salty? Depends on my mood. Both is often best, like chocolate-covered pretzels. Yum!
o   Beach or mountains? Beach as the mountains can get too cold. I'm so not a cold weather girl.
o   Online or in person? Definitely, definitely in person! I love connecting with people and am so much when I can speak to someone in person. Online, I always wonder if people are getting my tone and nuances.
o   Ebook or print? I still love a book that I can hold and that smells like a book. However, I purchased a Nook Tablet and love using it when I travel or for long car rides. I can put many books on it without worrying about space and it has a light so I can read even when the car gets dark.

 About the Future:
  • What’s next for you?    I'm working on a third novel now, also YA. Only 10K words in so don't want to say too much about it yet. And I finished a book for younger kids that I hope to eventually sell.
  • One outrageous goal for the future?   To walk the red carpet because someone decided to make a film of one of my books. :-)


I have to say, this has been one of my favorite interviews. Getting to know Margie better has been fabulous -  I am even MORE excited to read her book!!!


What's in your TBR pile right now?

3 comments:

  1. Happy book birthday Margie!I wish you the very best of luck with Pieces Of Us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's on my wish list! Fun interview, and happy book birthday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much!! This interview was so fun to do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!