Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Bookanista Interview with MG Author Eisley Jacobs



HAPPY THURSDAY everyone! Welcome to another edition of Bookanista Thursday. I am EXCITED to have MG Author Eisley Jacobs with me today. But before I bring her interview, here's what the rest of the Bookanista's are up to:



Christine Fonseca  interviews author Eisley Jacobs
Stasia Ward Kehoe gets psyched for the release of TORN
Debra Driza swoons for SLIDE
Tracy Banghart takes a shine to UNDER THE NEVER SKY

And now, my special Bookanista interview with Eisley Jacobs 


About the Book:
  • Give me the blurb for the book in 140 characters or less:   Fifth graders, rival dragons, sinister rulers; Deglan and Meia's heads spin on a new adventure to find the only creature that can help.

  • Do you have a fav character and why?  I The main characters Deglan and Meia are fabulous, but each of the others in the novel are just as fun to write as the others! Philip the gnome… Sterling the marvel… Patricia the school bully… All of them have spunk! So choosing one is like choosing a favorite child, which I can’t do. I love each of them for different reasons and am so happy they strolled into the novel they way they have.
  • What do you hope readers will get from your book?   The theme of this book is all about forgiveness and what that looks like. I hope kids get a sense of why it’s important to offer forgiveness and what it means to forgive and be forgiven. I also hope it encourages kids to realize that people change and just because someone made a bad choice yesterday, doesn’t mean they will make it tomorrow.
About the Author:
  • What inspires you?   Inspiration comes in many forms and for me it really depends on the book. For the Dragons Forever series, inspiration came in the form of two little boys and one little girl whom I love and treasure. My children really mean the world to me and they do inspire me to create stories that are fun and still challenge the child to live with conviction.
  • Hardest aspect of writing? Best?  The hardest aspect of writing has got to be the struggle between what to write first, next, last. There are so many stories in my head that I never know what should be next. Though, once I decide, sometimes the hardest part is actually turning off the internet and putting the story on paper. The best part has got to be watching the story unfold. Even if I use an outline, the story sometimes takes an unexpected twist that I wasn’t aware of when I started.  That’s pretty exciting. Especially when it unwraps the story into something totally different then you could have ever imagined.  Definitely the best!
  • Who is your writing hero?   This is an easy one… C.S. Lewis. The Chronicles of Narnia were the reason for his main rise to writing heroism for me. The fact that he could weave a story in so few words… amazing! And not just any story but one that keeps you on your toes and wanting more.
  • Randomness:
o   Sweet or salty? Sweet. But give me a mix of sweet and salty together and I’m yours forever.
o   Beach or mountains? Ooooooooh this one is tough. As a California girl, I used to drive through the mountains to get to the beach. So really love both! But, each summer we look forward to our time on the Mendocino Coast, so I guess beach wins.
o   Online or in person? There are different times in my life when I prefer one over the other. Right now, it’s online. Mostly because I am swamped with schooling my children, writing books, and potty training puppies.
o   Ebook or print? I’m still a print girl… but I am conforming to the ways of the world quickly. So it’s like 50/50 right now. However, my kids are still 100% print. They haven’t grasped the new-fangledness of digital.

 About the Future:
  • What’s next for you?   This is a harder question then you’d think, what with all the characters pulling my head in separate directions. Thankfully I have two fiction novels that are on the editors desk right now and I’m hoping to find a home for them in 2012. I also have a Young Adult novel that is screaming for me to finish. And then my mind is roaming over the outline of Dragons Forever 3, which I hope to have out late fall or early winter 2012.
  • One outrageous goal for the future?  If you’re asking for a writing goal, it’s to write every day and hone my craft. If you are asking for a life goal, it’s to live life to the fullest in 2012. I have so many things planned for 2012 and they all sound outrageous. Publishing, mothering, traveling to Ethiopia, schooling, honing… I’m planning my day of rest for 2013 already.
 To hear more about Eisley, check out her guest post yesterday. Oh! And don't forget about my Phantom Giveaway ending later today, AND the YA Scavenger Hunt starting a little later today. WOOT WOOT!!!


What's in your TBR pile right now?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear Eisley has so many irons in the fire. I am looking forward to reading her latest novel, and looking forward to the third Dragons novel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!