Monday, February 27, 2012

What I've Learned So Far

As I reflect on my launch of DIES IRAE, and prepare for my launch of LACRIMOSA, several things have really come to light for me...
little lessons, if you will:


1. This really is THAT hard. Yep, writing is absolutely the hardest thing I have ever done – by far. And trust me, I have tackled some pretty difficult things in my lifetime. For me, it's hard because it's so very personal. I pour a piece of myself into everything I write. And then I give it to the world for scrutiny. Yep - it's hard. But guess what? I can do hard things. And this one is worth it. Most days.


2. It’s all just words. As an author, I often get too attached to my words, hung up on potential changes, married to certain ideas. This is just silly. These are words - just words. They can be changed, rearranged and even *gasp* deleted. I just need to remember that the changes do NOT mean that I have failed. Only that the work is not finished.

3. Be brave and forge your own path. Yea, this has been a big one for me on this journey. I constantly compare my path to others only to come to the same conclusion time and time again. I am unique, as is my journey. Everyone's is. Therefore making comparisons is crazy. Or rather, crazy-making. My journey is mine alone. And it has value in being just that - a journey just for me. (I just have to keep reminding myself of this).

4. Sometimes, it is better to just stay off line. This one ties into the one above - there are times when the best, healthiest, thing for me is to hide. Stay offline. Stop comparing. And just live. Or write. Or hang out with my family playing Just Dance 3. Don't get me wrong, I love all of my online haunts. I love hanging out and chatting with friends, blogging, check out what every one is working on. But, I am really prone to bouts of insecurity. And sometimes, the flood of online information just feeds that insecurity, sending into the muck. So, rather than subject that of myself over and over and over again, it makes more sense to do a better job of self-evaluation and pulling back when I need to.


So, there you go - a few things I have learned over the last month.
Anything sound familiar? What lessons have you learned along the path toward publication?

12 comments:

  1. Yes, all of our paths are different. Glad you found yours. I fall into the comparing myself with others rut sometimes too. It's hard not to even though you know you shouldn't. I realize my path is a slow one but right for me given what else is going on in my life right now.

    Good luck with your release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie - and yes, I feel like mine is slow much of the time, actually!

      Delete
  2. Very valuable lessons. I need to learn that third one still. I'm working on it! Good for you to know what you need to do to help yourself though. You truly are a unique and amazing person, Christine. Your journey is and will continue to be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nisa - I actually needed to hear that today. :D

      Delete
  3. Exactly. Great post, Christine and too true. (Although I haven't gotten to the point where I've learned to stay offline yet. Maybe when I finally get published. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't stay offline nearly as often as I should

      Delete
  4. I'm starting to flirt with getting offline more and more. It's hard, because (and it's humiliating to admit) my friends are there. I know very few people in our new community, and it's not for lack of trying. But I find I'm more clear-headed when I do. Incredibly far behind when I return (like today, after two days mostly off), but it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Christine and so, so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that writing is SO HARD. You think you have something then...well...you don't. Then you DO have to be brave. Do something no one thought of doing. This is a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being brave is so important...and so very hard I think! Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete

Thanks for your input!