Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Truthfully Tuesday

Happy Tuesday. It's been a while since I did a Truthful Tuesday post, and after a few things yesterday, I thought it fitting. But before I get to that, here is the scoop on my spots for the blog tour -
And, congrats to NATALIE AGUIRRE - she one a copy of my ebook. WOOT!

Okay, now, my truth...
Yesterday I got a horrible review. And yes, it sort of hurt. I know, I know - we aren't supposed to talk about these things. We aren't supposed to read our reviews - aren't supposed to "care".

But yea, I am always wondering WHY NOT? I don't mean we should bash ANYONE for being HONEST in their feelings about our books - we should welcome it. But, to not admit that it hurts to get a lukewarm review, or that a little part of us dies for a moment when we read a crushing review....
well, that's just silly. Of course it hurts. A lot.

But, it's the nature of this business. We will get rejected - by agent, by publishers, by our readers. Writing - and reading - is subjective by nature. There will be plenty of people who don't get, or don't like, what we were trying to accomplish. And that's fine. 

In  truth, I knew the less-than-favorable review was coming. And part of me was glad - it lends credibility to everything. Some people will like my work, some people will not. I knew, too, that the genre of the novella itself would be problematic for many. And it is. Am I mad about it? No, actually. Just disappointed that I let a few readers down. Will it keep me from reading my reviews? No. I actually find value in the reviews, the feedback. 

So, how should I react. Honestly. It hurts. That's normal. But after the pain, it's time to move on. Period. Like Elana Johnson said in one of her posts, reviews are for READERS, not writers. And like Lisa Schroeder said in a similar post, it is NOT the reader's job to supply emotional feedback to the author. In other words, read the review - or don't. Acknowledge the sting of a review, because that is honest. Beyond that, let it go and write something new. At least, that is what I am doing. 

What do you think? How do you (or would you) handle the less than favorable review?


14 comments:

  1. Wise words, Christine. Negative reviews or other feedback do hurt, it'd be silly not to acknowledge that, but acknowledging and complaining (or responding) are two different things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take Jay Lake's lead on this. Once the story has been published it belong to the reader. And of course they're going to have different reaction to it. I don't know why, but this really helps me when considering a bad review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it does belong to the reader. And yes, there will be a lot of subjectivity. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I like your attitude! "Move on!" I think no matter how hard we try to prepare ourselves for all kinds of reviews (From awesome to bad) - the reality of the review won't actually hit until we read it. As writers we can't please everyone with our books, but there will be plenty that will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I've had rough reviews before...and still, the get me. And yes, I HOPE there are more who like than those who do not...

      Delete
  4. I think I'd handle it very much like you're doing. I'd read them (curiosity kills), and the negative ones would hurt a lot. But that's normal. I'd feel it, pout a little, read a few positive ones to make myself feel better and then move on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! And yep, balance out the good and the bad - and don't believe any of it. Just move on and write more...

      Delete
  5. You've got a good attitude about this, and you're making something that hurts into something that could potentially help you as you continue on. Kudos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely. Strangely, I've never really been mad at the reviewer...only disappointed in myself. If that makes sense

      Delete
  6. And that, my dear, is the perfect way to react. I think most agents and/or publishers don't want their authors to react because they're worried they will freak out or say something they may regret. But with your grace and wonderful outlook, there's no fear of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks Heather. I have a 24 hr rule usually, just prevent most mishaps, you know?!?

      Delete
  7. I'd find you to be quite less-than-human, couldn't possibly have a beating heart and warm blood flowing through your body if a negative review didn't sting a little. But if put into the same position, I would handle it as you. I'd hurt. No doubt about that. But I wouldn't respond to the review. I'd grudgingly remind myself that not every person is going to love my stuff and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! That is pretty much my convo with myself. :D

      Delete

Thanks for your input!