Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Bookanista Interview with TATTERED Author LK Gardner-Griffie



HAPPY THURSDAY everyone! Welcome to another edition of Bookanista Thursday. I am EXCITED to have   LK Gardner-Griffie  with me today. But before I bring her interview, here's what the rest of the Bookanista's are up to:





And now, my special Bookanista interview with LK Gardner-Griffie. 


About the Book:
  • Give me the blurb for the book in 140 characters or less:   Day in court—backstabbing friends—relationship triangles=life for Katie McCabe. Books go up in flames & Katie's world rains down in tatters.
  • Do you have a fav character and why?  I always have a hard time with picking favorites, because I love most of my characters for different reasons. And it goes without saying that Katie McCabe will always have a special place in my heart, and I think she'll always be with me—even when I'm writing books that she doesn't appear in. We've been together so long it would feel wrong without her. 

    But if we narrow the selection to favorite new character in Tattered, then hands down it is Sunny Li. Sunny is an Asian Goth, with a quirky sense of humor, a wicked talent in murals, and underneath a hard exterior, vulnerability peeks out when you least expect it. Sunny started feeding me one-liners before I even knew who she was, and was difficult to get to know. But she had a story to tell, and was passionate about ensuring it wasn't trivialized.
  • What do you hope readers will get from your book?  Another tough question… An enjoyable read. A sense of connection to the characters and situations. I don't write to preach or send a message, I write to chronicle the lives of my characters. So I guess in a way it means I hope readers gain compassion and understanding for those who are different, recognition and acceptance that everyone makes mistakes, and being human means feeling a gamut of emotions.
About the Author:
  • What inspires you?  There are so many things I take inspiration from. The smallest thing, which someone else overlooks, may send skyrockets off in my head. But for the grand scheme inspiration… music and nature. Music carries the passion of life in its notes, it evokes a mood which comes from the core of our being, it can make us feel triumphant, or bring us to tears. For nature, there is the vastness of the ocean, with its ebb and flow that brings a peace to my soul—where the moonlight on the waves can look like twinkling stars or bring a tear to my eye. The whisper of wind carrying secrets as the breeze rustles through leaves on a tree—it can either delight or bring melancholy. But in both music and nature, they both feed my soul and center me, allowing my imagination to take flight.
  • Hardest aspect of writing? Best? Hardest aspect=keeping the butt in the chair. And along with the physical part of sticking with the work, it is the mental aspect of keeping myself from getting distracted while working. Maintaining focus. But once I'm in the zone, the house could fall down and I'm not sure I'd notice. The best aspect of writing are those moments of surprise when the story takes an unexpected but necessary twist… and it's something YOU would never have thought of. When the characters are fully in control and telling their story in their way. It doesn't get better than that.
  • Who is your writing hero?  I'm torn between Louisa May Alcott and Agatha Christie. Alcott because she penned a character in Jo March that still speaks to writers and inspires people to write. And Agatha Christie because of the way her mind worked and the number of books she wrote.
  • Randomness:
o   Sweet or salty? Sweet, but not too sweet.
o   Beach or mountains? I really want to say both. The beach at night and mountains during the day.
o   Online or in person? I love my online friends, but love even more when I get to meet them in person.
o   Ebook or print? Ebook – mainly because of my severe allergies. Ebooks don't decompose in quite the same was as print.

 About the Future:
  • What’s next for you?  The immediate next is editing an action/adventure Middle Grade novel, which I'm very excited about. And for the Misfit McCabe series, finishing the draft of One Way Ticket Home, the fourth book in the series, and writing the fifth and final book. And I have another Middle Grade contemporary book I have notes for and an older Young Adult.
  • One outrageous goal for the future? Go skydiving
If you are now as intrigued as I am about LK and her books, check out her website and get her books. Stat!


What's in your TBR pile right now?

3 comments:

  1. LK has written such a great series in Katie McCabe. I can imagine it will be difficult to finish it. But looking forward to all her other works, too. Great interview, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this interview! I haven't read a Katie McCabe book yet, but now I know I definitely need to! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for having me on your blog today. (Sorry for the late comment, but it has been one of those days...) It was a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!