Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bookanista Booyah for The Secret of Spruce Knoll

HAPPY THURSDAY everyone! Welcome to another edition of Bookanista Thursday. I am EXCITED for today's review of THE SECRET OF SPRUCE KNOLL. But before I bring my review, check out what the other Bookanistas are up to:

Christine Fonseca surrenders to THE SECRET OF SPRUCE KNOLL
Corrine Jackson delights in CHOPSTICKS
Stasia Ward Kehoe  presents a Stunning Seconds interview with A MILLION SUNS author Beth Revis
Jen Hayley gives a shout-out to the classics
Debra Driza celebrates CINDER – with giveaway!
Katy Upperman raves over JELLICOE ROAD
Hilary Wagner is all about LEXAPROS AND CONS – with giveaway
Carolina Valdez Miller talks about the tremendous cover of TEN

On to my Bookanista shout out for THE SECRET OF SPRUCE KNOLL by Heather McCorkle

Release Date: 8/3/2011

Basic Blurb: (from Amazon)

It's hard enough being a teenager under normal circumstances; imagine being orphaned, sent to live with an unfamiliar aunt-and learning that there really is magic in the world. Following the tragic death of her parents, Eren Donovan moves to Spruce Knoll to live with her aunt. Little does Eren know the entire town of Spruce Knoll is filled with so-called "channelers"-a magical group of people who immigrated to the small Colorado town when they were driven out of their own lands.
Channelers are tied to the fate of the world. As the world slowly dies, so do they-and they alone have the power to stop the destruction of Earth. Now, Eren learns she not only lives among them, but she is one. When she meets local boy Aiden, his charming tricks show her being a channeler isn't all bad; in fact, it's kind of cool. But is it Aiden's abilities or Aiden's looks that Eren finds so fascinating?
As Eren and Aiden's relationship blooms, so too does a mystery in Spruce Knoll. The town holds many secrets-and many enemies. It soon becomes apparent that the untimely death of Eren's parents was no accident and that her life might be in danger, too. Only time will tell if young, inexperienced Eren has the power to protect the people she has come to love.
Why I liked it: I really like this story. I sort of came to the series in a backwards manner, reading BORN OF FIRE and another Channeler short before finally reading this novel. I was hooked into the world and premise walking in; but it was the characters that kept me hooked. From the first page to the last, I found the character development strong. These are real, flawed, people working through issues that we can all relate to.
Add to that beautiful setting descriptions and a rich emotional context and you have the recipe for a fabulous story. I am so excited to read the next book in the series, CHANNELER'S CHOICE.
Great job Heather!

What are you reading these days?


  1. Thanks for the great review. I want to read this. Love the channeler angel. It's unique.

    And I like your header. We're looking to redesign ours. Where did you get yours and do you have any site for free ones you recommend?

  2. Thank you so much for the sweet review Christine! I'm deeply touched that you're enjoying the channeler series so much. :)

  3. AWESOME!! I LOVE Heather and really hope her book is a success. :-)

  4. I read Born of Fire and truly enjoyed it. I have the Spruce Knoll novel on my table. Just got to get through a few others on my TBR so I can devour this one. I'm excited about the Channeler novel coming out soon as well.


Thanks for your input!