Friday, February 3, 2012

Teen Talk Friday - Author Events

Since I am in the middle of my Blog Tour for DIES IRAE, I thought we would talk with the teens about author events. But before I get to that, here are my stops for today:

  • Gretchen McNeil with one of my fav interviews (she asked some fun questions)
  • Jen Merrill with my thoughts about writing for GT (gifted) teens.

Now, back to Teen Talk Friday - I go to a lot of events - book signings, author chats, launch parties. And most of the time they are attended by a ton of writerly peeps and a few teens. Given that most of these events are for my YA author friends, I am also wondering how to get more teens to come to the events.

So, I decided to ask my teen group what kinds of things THEY like to attend, and what will make them more likely to attend.

Here are some of the things they had to say:

  • "I love going to book signings, but most of the time they are during the week and I am swamped with school and work."
  • "I like signings with multiple authors at book stores or places where I can get the book right there."
  • "I really don't go to signings. But I like it when authors come to my school."
When I asked about virtual events - blog tours, twitter thingys, scavenger hunts, etc, this is what they said
  • "I never do blog tours, or whatever. I go to live events. And sometimes I do the scavenger hunt things. I do love fb, so when there are things related to fb, I do them."
  • "Yea, I am the same. I am online -youtube, FB, sometimes twitter. But I don't really follow authors' blogs and such."
  • "I actually do read author blogs. I never comment, but I like hearing about events and stuff. Of course, I want to write novels, too...so that may be why."
There you have it. I am going deeper into the social media part next week, so be on the look out for that.

AND...I have asked my girls to round up a few more guys to have a "part 2" post about covers, from the male POV.

Have a great weekend all, and be sure to check out the myriad of giveaways going around for DIES IRAE. And if you've read the book, I would love to hear your thoughts.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome! Very interesting to hear about their social media preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the release of Dies Irae, Christine!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I loved hearing about these things from the teens' perspective. Thank you!

    Makes me think I need to get my own teen think tank ..... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! It was interesting to see what works for them and what doesn't. I had a suspicion that FB was where the teens were, but I still don't really know how to reach them there. Gonna have to work on that!

    Thanks Christine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!