Monday, January 16, 2012

Marketing Watch Monday - Understanding Rights

I've been stewing over this post for a while, wanting to share a little of my thoughts regarding protecting the rights to our work - our stories. In this age of digital formats, etc, it is increasingly easier to violate copyrights, loose track of the various rights delineated in our contracts, etc. And as more and more authors are forging this road alone, it is important to read up on the basic legalese and understand things. (and have a lawyer or agent to work through some of this with).

My thinking on this was spurred by a recent interview I listened to with The Firm author John Grisham. He was talking about how the original movie of his book, The Firm, came to be. It turns out that someone had obtained a bootlegged copy of his book and liked it. That someone was hooked up with the film industry, and the rest is history, as it were.

I mention this not to condone bootlegged copies, per sea, but to acknowledge that they've been around. For ever. This is not something new with the digital age, but it is something that now has a bigger impact.

As luck would have it, I read a couple of great posts dealing with copyrights and rights in general this week. So, I thought I'd share a couple of links from these articles with all of you.

  • Iona McAvoy @ Downtown YA - Iona blogs twice a month on the Downtown YA blog, always talking about legal stuff. This particular post was great, and talked about copyrights with reference to not just print - but the exploding world of digital formats. It was well worth the read, and something I think we all need to be aware of, and open to.
  • Ash Krafton @ - Ash talks about rights and includes a couple of helpful links at the end of the post.

What are your thoughts about the changing face of publishing and the impact to our rights as authors? Do you know the various types of rights discussed in contracts? Even if you have a lawyer and/or agent, I think it is important to be self-informed. What do you guys think?


  1. I'll admit I haven't thought about it. Right now it isn't an issue for me. But that doesn't mean it won't be one day.

    Thanks for the links. :D

  2. I certainly think it's important to be informed. Unfortunately, I'm not informed. Thanks for including the links. I'm going to check them out now.

  3. Being informed is our greatest defense. Thank you so much for these links. I have no doubt they'll help a lot of people.

  4. I agree with Heather that being informed is our greatest defense. Thanks for the links!


Thanks for your input!