Sunday, January 29, 2012

On the Chain: Evoking Emotions

It's Blog Chain time again, and this time the topic comes from Kate who asked the following:

Post pictures, songs, movie clips, poems, or novel excerpts that make you feel. Feel what, you ask? Feel anything. Happy. Sad. Angry. Nostalgic. Hopeful. Hopeless. Jealous. Joyful. 

When I first read this post, I thought "Hmm, no problem. I get emotional about everything. It comes with being intense." And then I thought, "Oh man, I get emotional about EVERYTHING! How on earth am I going to streamline my thoughts into a coherent post. Yikes!"

I never did come to a decision on how I was going to streamline my thoughts. See, I approach the world from a very intense place. This poem sums it up best:

The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this:
A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.
To him...
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.
– Pearl Buck


As a result of my intensities, everything elicits some kind of emotional response inside. Writing has enabled me to harness that emotional response and funnel it into something more creative.

But, back to the question. Given that I am inspired and emotional just by getting up most mornings, I thought I would focus this question into the things that inspired the emotions behind DIES IRAE and the Requiem Series.

It started with Mozart's LACRIMOSA from Requiem.



This particular video encapsulates the original emotions I was working through with the series, and it is still my "go-to" song when I need to "find" the voice of the series. This section of the Requiem Mass inspired everything that followed, including the decision to title each of the stories based on the section of the mass it represented.


Next, some pictures that inspired the story of DIES IRAE, the prequel novella to the series:






Each one of these images (which are in my trailer for the series) inspired some aspect of the emotional content of the story.

And finally, the opening quote from DIES IRAE that focused the storyline for me:


“Day of wrath! O day of mourning!
See fulfilled the prophets' warning,
Heaven and earth in ashes burning!”
~DIES IRAE, Requiem Mass
English Translation by William Josiah Irons (1849)


So, there you go. Some of the things that evoke the emotions of my writing. Each story I write, each concept I approach has its own music and pictures that help me harness my emotional self and pour it onto the page.

What inspires your emotions?
For more from us, check out Jon's post from yesterday, and Abby's post tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Incredible emotions that your story invokes. It's great that you can harness them so completely to write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. It's no wonder that such things inspire you. And I love getting an inside view into what inspired the series. I'm inspired by everything around me, art, music, movies, books, or just life in general.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!