Thursday, December 22, 2011

Learning from Evan Almighty...

The other night my family and I were watching the movie Evan Almighty. It's one of my favorite, feel good movies. And it has one of my all time favorite scenes.

Joan (the wife) has just watched her husband go a little nuts and claim that God told him to build an arc. She leaves him to figure things out. This scenes takes place right afterwards, when she is with the kids at a restaurant. The kids go to the restroom, leaving her all forlorn. God (played by Morgan Freeman), posing as a wait names Al Mighty (gotta love that) talks with her, and in the conversation this is what he says -

Let me ask you something. If one prays for patience, do you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If they pray for courage, does God give them courage, or does he give them opportunities to be courageous? If one prayed for their family to be closer, you think God zaps them with warm, fuzzy feelings? Or does he give them opportunities to love each other? Well, I got to run. A lot of people to serve. Enjoy. 
I LOVE these lines. Every time life gets a little difficult and I can't really find my balance I remember that I am being given opportunities to practice .... something. Sometimes it's patience. Or grace. Or humility. Sometimes its compassion. Once I remember that the things that happen in my life are merely growth opportunities I weather these periods so much better.

 2010 and 2011 brought me many many months of opportunities to practice everything from love, bravery, compassion and so much more. And now, as we end the year and I FINALLY feel like I am in balance (most of the time) I can reflect on the amazing things I have had the opportunity to learn.

I wish all of you a wonderful end to 2011, and an amazing start to 2012.

I will be back on Sat to announce the winners of my EPIC Angel giveaway (Have you entered?) and next year I will give you a little of my "Best of" to end 2011.

Thanks again to all of you for your continuing support for my work. It means more than you will ever know!

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Christine. I love that scene too. In fact, I love that whole movie. May we both recognize the opportunities as they come, and may we both take full advantage of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said. There are so many times when we all feel this way and it never occurred to me to look for words of wisdom in such a sweet comedy movie. Sometimes your brilliance stuns me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lines are sooooo apropos for so many things. Often because when prayers are sent up for things like courage and patience and perseverance, we DO want that ZAP moment then BAM - a new bucket of patience or whatever we've asked for. I can admit this because I've done it before. Like you, I found my prayers answered in ways I hadn't expected and have gained a bit more patience, lots more humility and more crumbs of courage each day...crumbs that keep me strong though this publishing road is a bit scary sometimes.

    Thank you for pulling these nuggets of wisdom from a comedy and giving them some much needed highlight. I could really use it as we reach the end of this year and get ready to roll into a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing those awesome quotes. I totally remember that scene. :)

    Have a great holiday season and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great movie. And that was a great scene. Thanks for the reminder. I liked the end "Acts of Random Kindness."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen that movie, but I love those lines. What a great reminder.

    Have a great time wrapping up 2011 with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful lines! Have a Merry Christmas with your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!