Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Open Minds Virtual Launch Party

I'm so excited to be part of Susan Kaye Quinn's virtual launch party for OPEN MINDS. Be sure to check out the bottom of this post for all the links to the other #keepOPENMINDS posts, guest posts, reviews, prizes, and more.

When I originally agreed to be part of the fun, I was planning to post about tolerance and a time when someone show'd me an extra measure of understanding. But I fell in love with Susan's tagline on her prizes:


So, I decided to post about some books that opened MY mind and literally changed my point of view on life.

As a teen, I read a lot of what would have been considered literature - you know, the type of stories and books you are assigned in class. Titles that included Poe's short stories, The Yellow Wallpaper, and To The Lighthouse. All of these heavily influenced me growing up.

In college, the writing of Tillich, Emerson, Thoreau, Nietzsche, and Camus also had strong influences on my belief structure at the time, making me a more well rounded individual.

As an adult, I am still continually amazed by the power of books to not just entertain, but bring other things/ideas/thoughts into focus. Take the Fox Inheritance - this is a great book that makes you think and question. There are many of them, really - books that take us to far away places and cultures, books that make us ponder and dream, and books that make us question.

Books! They really DO encourage open minds.

What books have opened your mind?

Now, for the links, etc.

The Story of Open Minds (linked posts)

Susan Kaye Quinn is giving away an Open Books/Open Minds t-shirt, mug, and some fun wristbands to celebrate the Virtual Launch Party of Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy)! (Check out the prizes here.)

Three ways to enter (you can have multiple entries):
1)      Leave a comment here or at the Virtual Launch Party post
2)      Tweet (with tag #keepingOPENMINDS)
Example: When everyone reads minds, a secret is a dangerous thing to keep. #keepingOPENMINDS @susankayequinn #SF #YA avail NOW http://bit.ly/SKQOpenMinds
Example: Celebrate the launch of OPEN MINDS by @susankayequinn #keepingOPENMINDS #SciFi #paranormal #YA avail NOW http://bit.ly/SKQOpenMinds

3)     Facebook (tag @AuthorSusanKayeQuinn)
Example: Celebrate the launch of paranormal/SF novel OPEN MINDS by @AuthorSusanKayeQuinn for a chance to win Open Books/Open Minds prizes! http://bit.ly/SKQOpenMinds

When everyone reads minds, a secret is a dangerous thing to keep.
Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can’t read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can’t be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf’s mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she’s dragged deep into a hidden world of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her.

Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy) by Susan Kaye Quinn is available in e-book (Amazon US (also UK, France and Germany), Barnes & Noble, Smashwords) and print (Amazon, Createspace, also autographed copies available from the author).



  1. I think every single book I've read has opened my mind in some particular way, even if in a really small way. Books in general are my medicine for a well-functioning brain. Can't WAIT to read this book! Well done, Susan and thanks for a great post, Christine!

  2. What a perfect post - books that open your mind. You KNOW I love that! Party Hosts rock - thank you so much for being a part of the Party! :)

  3. I love books that open your mind, they make reading much more enjoyable!

  4. Mindjackers? This sounds intriguing! Happy release day, Susan!

    Christine, I still can't believe we're friends. You're the smart half of my brain.

  5. I've read a few of the authors you mentioned, particularly Emerson and Thoreau. But oddly, the reading that opened my mind the most came from an unexpected place. At the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, you are required to take Old Testament and New Testament. It is a Christian-based college. Having grown up the granddaughter of a Baptist pastor, I figured I'd heard everything there was to here about the Bible. How wrong I was. The books we read (can't remember authors or titles, sorry) helped me learn things on a more academia level and opened my mind beyond the denominational doctrine I'd known for like, ever, and gave me such a larger view of things I'd never considered. Really an eye and mind opener indeed

  6. A lot of different books have opened my mind. Too many to name. The authors always get my brain to thinking. I read many more different type of books then I did as a teen. Much more open to all kinds of books now.
    Sue B

  7. @Everyone Thank you for stopping by!

    @Christine Thanks for being such a lovely party host! :)


Thanks for your input!