Friday, November 4, 2011

Blog Chain: Monster Mash

It's Blog Chain time again, and this time the topic comes from Matt M, who asked the following:

What is your all-time favorite monster? 

You can take this in any direction you'd like. For example: my most bad-ass monster would easily be a dragon, and it is my favorite in some ways, but you don't have to go with that kind of measurement. Like me, you could go with the most ridiculously hilarious monster you ever heard of, or, like Stephanie Meyer, you could go with the most romantic creature to ever grace the pages of mythology. Or like Carrie Ryan, you could choose the old standby: Zombies. One alone might not be much to handle, but the horde is probably the single most powerful monster force ever invented in gaming, film, literature, or legend. 

It's up to you: what's your favorite monster?

Anyone who knows me and my writing knows I LOVE to write about creepy characters - monsters in some way. These monsters are typically not some supernatural creature. No, that's not what creeps me out. My monsters are normal, highly disturbed people.

Yep, there is nothing scarier to me that the monster a human being can become.

So I thought I'd highlight two of my favorite "monsters". These two are not only epically disturbed characters in their own right, they have had amazing influence on how I create these types of characters in my writing.

First, The Joker character played specifically by Heath Ledger. This is one disturbed individual. And man, did he have flair, right? He hurt others for the sake of hurting others. His motivation was purely the chaos he had the power to create. As he said about himself, "I'm an agent of chaos".

And my all time fav monster - Hannibal Lector as played by Anthony Hopkins. I mean really, this is one of the most powerful disturbed characters on film. He is brilliant, calculating, and in control. And nuts!

Both of these characters have been great lessons in crafting disturbed characters. With both, although the characters are inherently evil, and although they enjoy killing, they also both are drawn to the main character in a way that is different. They are complex characters with unusual motivations. And that is what makes them so interesting to me.

How about you? What kind of monsters do YOU like?

For more on this topic, check out Jon's post from yesterday or hop on over and read Abby's tomorrow


  1. Nothing wrong with a metaphoric monster. Great post, Christine!

  2. Joker and Hannibal are sooo creepy AND genius. I love them both. Nice choices.

  3. Those are two of the best villains, ever! Unforgettable performances from those guys.

  4. I've got a soft spot for the supernatural beasties, but I agree there's nothing creepier than humans who are monstrous. You've picked two great ones.

  5. AMAZING picks! I have to agree--Heath's Joker is a monster unlike any other. And Hannibal? *shivers* I've never watched Silence of the Lambs in its entirety because I'm terrified of him!

  6. Jack did the Joker funny. Heath did the Joker right. And as for Hannibal, there's nothing creepier than a man who smiles at you while braising a corner piece of your brain on the stove.

    I tend toward the undead, like Bram Stoker's Dracula. All he wanted was Mina...forever.

  7. Great villains. Hannibal scares me the most.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

  8. Hannibal Lector is a great choice, but The Joker is even better (as played by Heath Ledger anyway). Nice job!


Thanks for your input!