Skip to main content

Why I Love to Write Thrillers

Happy Halloween!
When I finished TRANSCEND, my YA psychological thriller, I accomplished more than finishing another novel - I found one of my favorite genres to write.

Psychological thrillers

I guess it is no surprise that I like to write stories with a strong psychological theme - stories that make you question the functioning of your own mind. But I didn't realize how much I enjoyed writing thrillers. I love leading the reader down an unreliable path - making them follow a particular lead only to find out their assumptions were wrong in the end. I love the suspense and drama involved in a good psychological thriller. And I really love crafting a believable, yet unreliable, narrator.

But what makes a good psychological thriller?


  • Suspense. 
  • A twist you don't see coming but makes total sense in the end. 
  • Strong emotions. 
  • Authentic characters.
  • An interesting plot


All of these are important elements I tried to create in TRANSCEND. I spent a lot of the revision process honing in to each of these elements and reading for that within the novel. Based on reader feedback, I think I achieved at least some of what I was going for.

My NaNo novel is another psychological thriller. And man-oh-man - I CAN'T WAIT to start!

What is your favorite genre to write? Why?

Comments

  1. Good for you! I don't think I could write a thriller. My favorite to write is probably fantasy or Christian young adult fiction. :) Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at psychological thriller.

    I'm more of a sci-fi and fantasy kind of guy, and a lot of pst-apocalyptic type stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, fun! I love the psychological thrillers, too.

    To write, though, I most like women's fiction and narrative non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could write one, but I do like reading psych thrillers! I love most things with a good psych tendency - probably why I enjoy Criminal Minds so much and why I majored in Psych! :)

    I'm a fantasy writer though. I love the possibilities magic offers.

    Oh and you win. I'm doing NaNo. I reactivated my account and everything. I'm kangaru.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo, goosebumps! And that shot of Jack Nicholson is one of the all-time best scenes in horror!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to write suspense, but I haven't ventured into the psychological side of things. I do find that genre fascinating to read. (New follower.)
    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exciting. Hope querying your book is successful. I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!

Popular posts from this blog

Collide and Transcend in Audio Format

Wow - it has too long since my last post! A lot has happened over the past few months. First, I've decided to re-launch my entire backlist. What does this mean? New covers, new interiors, and, in some cases, new and expanded stories. It also means releasing the books in audiobook format. Audiobooks are something I've wanted to do for a while. And now it is finally happening.

In December, I released the audiobook formats of Transcend and Collide - each with new covers and new interiors in the digital and print versions. I plan on revealing the new covers for the rest of the Solomon Experiment series (the sequels to Collide) later this month, with the actual books coming in late Feb and March/April.

In Spring, I will begin the re-launch of the Requiem series, including significantly expanded stories for books 2 and 3, new covers, new titles and audiobook formats.

I don't plan on only re-releasing books in 2016. In addition to the two new books in the Solomon Experiments, I ha…

Crossroads Tour Day #5

Welcome to Day #5 of the Crossroads Tour. I hope you are having as much fun as I am! Not sure what this is? Read the post on day #1.Did you remember to enter the giveaway for the Amazon gift card? CLICK HERE to enter.

As I mentioned, I am giving away one ebook of COLLIDE during the tour. Just stop by each day, Monday through Saturday, and answer the daily question. I will randomly draw a name every evening. Easy, right?!?

For today's entry, check out my Q&A at LITTLE LIBRARY MUSE and answer this question:

Who am I trapped in an elevator with?

Leave your answers in the comments. I will draw a random winner at 10pm PST on Saturday. Good luck!

Day #4 of the Crossroads Tour

Welcome to Day #4 of the Crossroads Tour. I hope you are having as much fun as I am! Not sure what this is? Read the first post.Did you remember to enter the giveaway for the Amazon gift card? CLICK HERE to enter.

As I mentioned, I am giving away one ebook of COLLIDE during the tour. Just stop by each day, Monday through Saturday, and answer the daily question. I will randomly draw a name every evening. Easy, right?!?

For today's entry, check out my Q&A at JESSICA BAYLISS and answer this question:

What horror movie scared the heck out of me?
Leave your answers in the comments. I will draw a random winner at 10pm PST on Saturday. Good luck!