Monday, October 17, 2011

Wherein I Talk about Music and Inspiration

Most of you guys know that I can't write without music. But not just any music - movie soundtrack music. One of my non-writerly friends calls it my "intense" music. She always knows when I am working on a project as I only listen to specific movie soundtrack music - stuff that keeps me in my story, even when I am working or doing things unrelated to writing it. For me, doing this enables me to write the story in my head.
So, as I continue to draft my current novel, COLLIDE, I have, of course, sourced new soundtrack music that fits this story and keeps me mentally writing.

The story itself is a YA paranormal thriller. And the music I've chosen is from INCEPTION and X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. Here are a couple of snippets of the music (I am not ready to talk about the novel too much yet.)

From Inception:




From X-Men:First Class:




So, what do you guys do for inspiration????

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're going to have a ball writing this! :o) I can't write to music, but that's because I'm also a songwriter and music tends to distract me from the task at hand!

    I can't believe I wasn't following you. I've rectified that. I was following you in FB on networked blogs and didn't realize I wasn't in Google connect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't listen to music when I write but I can see how soundtracks, with all the drama, could help.

    Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't listen to music when I write. I'm easily distracted, and then the next thing I know, I'm singing (badly) and not writing.

    Wish I could though. I can see how it get's you in the right mood. Like the movie soundtrack gets the audience in the right mood when they watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are both great pieces of music! I can't listen to anything with lyrics when I write, but classical usually works as a great brain stimulator for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, I can't listen to music when I write. I WISH I could!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually listen to music when I'm writing, but I do love movie soundtracks. Used to study to them.

    These are some very epic ones you've picked. Sounds like your WIP is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I open a bottle of wine! Kidding, kidding. I listen to music as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are cool pieces! I have to write to music and while I don't pick a soundtrack to write to, each book definitely has a "theme". So happy to hear you're writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christine. I'm following your now. Happy to meet you again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!