Monday, October 10, 2011

Kick A** Debut Author spotlight - POSSESS

Hey everyone! Happy Monday. I am so excited to be part of some serious love floating across the blogosphere today. You see, Christina Lee and others came up with a fabulous way to show those authors who debuted this year some love - an epic love-fest celebrating some amazing books. 


When she asked me whose debut I wanted to celebrate, I was torn - I mean really...there are SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM. What a fabulous thing to say - so many fabulous debuts. I really think this is the up-side to the industry's recent difficulties - we are seeing amazing books on the shelves.


Anyways, I decided to focus on one particular book that hasn't gotten near enough press in my mind, despite some amazing reviews on Amazon, Goodreads and across the web.


POSSESS.


Yes, I featured this one as a BOOKANISTA review not too long ago. But really, I could go on and on about my love for this book. Why, you ask?


BECAUSE IT'S NEW!


Really. There are so many books I love, but the concepts aren't new. Sure the books are beautiful, and I enjoyed every word of them. But the storyline itself is somewhat predictable. Girl has powers she doesn't know about, meets a bad boy that she falls in love with, and now must discover her own power to save the world. Sound familiar??


While some of these elements are in POSSESS, this is a true classic thriller/horror story. There are creepy scenes that will make the hair on your neck stand on end. There are twists and turns you don't fully see coming. And there is intrigue.


Such a rich combination, and something not seen in great supply on the shelves these days.


Now, I will admit that I am a psychological thriller chunky, and yes, my fav books to write are those with thriller, gothic, and horror elements. But even if I wasn't that type of reader and/or writer I would STILL love this book. It is just that fabulous to me.


So, go get it. Read it. Love it! And, a little heads up - I am giving away a copy at the end of the month as part of my Spooktacular Giveaway hop, so be sure to come back and check that out.


At the beginning of this post I said that there are TONS of us screaming shoutouts and praise for our fav books. In fact, there are more than 30 of us. Just check out this amazing list:


Christina is crazy about A SCARY SCENE IN A SCARY MOVIE, WITCH EYES AND WILDEFIRE
Rachele raves about IMAGINARY GIRLS
Susan is featuring RIP TIDE
Robyn spotlights ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and WITH A NAME LIKE LOVE
Matt loves SOLSTICE
Nicole wants to tell you about POSSESSION
Janet tells why she loves LIAR SOCIETY
Kate talks about MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN
Sheri  admires IRON WITCH
Jen would like to tell you about WITHER
Shannon celebrates DARK PARTIES
Jon loves MY VERY UNFAIRY TALE LIFE
Michelle tells you about SHIFTING
Susan admires WITH A NAME LIKE LOVE
Natalie gives a shout out to AUDITION, THE FAERIE RING, and MY VERY UNFAIRY TALE LIFE
Katie  loves THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER
Stina  gives you a taste of BAD TASTE IN BOYS
Jessie spotlights SPELLBOUND and BIRTHRIGHT
Willow admires DESTINED
Kristin really really likes CLARITY
Anne features READY PLAYER ONE
Meredith wants to shout about DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE
Amy Rose loves THE NEAR WITCH
Theresa  talks about DIVERGENT
Kelly focuses in on EARTHLING HERO and A SCARY GOOD BOOK
Christine gears you up for THE LIPSTICK LAWS
Laura  is wild about GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS
Portia  admires THE SECRET OF SPRUCE KNOLL
Ali  has plenty to say about POSSESSION
Patti tells you about HEREAFTER

Go show some love and check out these fabulous debuts!

15 comments:

  1. Great choice. I have to read POSSESS. I've heard such good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book, but the library doesn't even have it on order. Looks like I'll have to break down and buy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The number of books I'm adding to my tbo list today is making my pulse race. LOL. Thanks for your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover fairy blessed Gretchen. It seems like it picks up the mood of the book well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds right up my alley, I really need to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be too chicken to read this one. It still sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, POSSESS was deliciously creepy and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. On my Kindle now and I started reading it!!! Plus, Gretchen is just awesome!!! THX for participating with me today!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creepy can be a lot of fun even if you're not into horror. I'm not really, but I've read some that have been absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cover for this book really snagged me so I have the Kindle edition. I'm in the process of getting my brain right so I can read it. I'm such a big scaredy cat sometimes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't even tell you how much I want to read this book!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. *hangs head in shame* I didn't put the links to everyone. Lazy?? Uh-huh.

    I really want to read this book. Especially now. Adding to the TBR pile. Hubby says I spend all our money on books. He thanks you. Yeah. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My TBR pile is growing by the blog. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!