Monday, September 26, 2011

Chat...write...edit....repeat

Yes, I have a four-step process to my writing life. As the title indicates, it's:

  1. Chat - Yea, I have to brainstorm with my writerly buds often. IDK, something about talking with them ALWAYS helps me clarify my goals.
  2. Write - Yep, you can't claim to be a writer if you don't write. I managed to finish one book this year - a far cry from the three I promised myself. So, after chatting with my closet bud, I committed myself to writing 2 - yes TWO - more novels this year. They won't get revised until 2012, but I am really excited to get these drafted.
  3. Revise - I finished revising TRANSCEND last week. Oh sure, nothing is ever really finished. But for now, this one is out in the world. Let's hope someone likes it. I have another novel I will be rereading before looking at small presses for it. 
  4. Repeat - This is the part I struggled with over the last year. Yes, I managed to chat. But write - not as much as I would have liked. 
That all ends this week! I am outlining a couple of projects I am really excited about. This week, I start drafting. So, if I am not around the interwebz much - that is why. I am BUSY BUSY BUSY.

What are you trying to finish before the end of 2011???

Oh! And a BIG CONGRATS to the winner of the MONARCH giveaway -
VIVIEN!!!!!!!!!

Woo hoo! My next giveaway will be on Thursday. Love giving things away.


8 comments:

  1. I want to finish two by the end of the year also :) Both are started...well, 1 is completed but I'm rewriting, but it's not quite the same as starting from scratch. And the other, I'm about 20k into. I'm going to bust my butt to get them finished by Dec 31st (first drafts, of course) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is similar to my process. I find the day to day chatting with crit partners essential to writing life. Glad you're working on some new stuff! That's always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a machine! 2 books by the end of the year?!? Awesome!! As for me, my end of the year goal is to have book 3 in my series done by November 1st and start working on an unrelated project. Crossing my fingers that I can be productive enough to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to finish the edit suggestions I received from Harrison Demchick. If I can get this re-write done, I think I may be close to seeing it published. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to finish 2-3 more short stories (from first draft to final revision), do the same with a couple of poem ideas bouncing around in my head, and make it through Nano. I'm pulling out a decade-old idea for Nano, one I finally feel ready to write. I did my 50,000 words last Nano (and want to pick that story up next year), but this year I want to complete the whole first draft of a story in November...regardless of how long it ends up being!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 2 books by the end of the year! Good luck! I'm going to try to finish just one. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought of using chat. Hmmm. That's a pretty great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're one of the few for whom chatting while writing is helpful! I like it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!