Thursday, September 1, 2011

Blog Chain: Time for a little writing!!!

It's Blog Chain time again, and this time I got to choose the topic - and what a crazy topic I have:


Since we are all writer's, I thought it was about time for us to stretch our creative muscles and do a little writing. So, take the following topic and go crazy! Show us what you've got. Your story can be as long or as short as you choice.


The topic: A dark and stormy night.

Ah yes, I am asking us all to...write. For my post, I decided to follow the Fiction Friday rules - Specifically the following:

  1. Write for a minimum of 5 minutes… AND THEN KEEP GOING!
  2. NO editing. ( well.. do the obvious spelling and punctuation.. but nothing major)
Okay, I actually just didn't get to write this post until VERY LATE last night. Oops!

Anyways, remember this is NOT edited, so no judgments, okay? Okay.

And without any more procrastination, here you go:

Ben climbed up the steep hill behind his house, waiting. Always waiting. His feet were tired from the four miles, but he didn’t care. Nothing was more important to him then this moment.
“You know this is never going to work, right?” Tom was out of breath when he reached Ben.
“I’m not listening to you,” Ben said as he stared into the horizon. The storm clouds rolled in over the sea, a few flashes of lightning brightening the otherwise gloomy sky. “Perfect,” Ben whispered.
“What’s perfect? And what are we doing up here, anyways?” John collapsed onto the ground, exhausted. “Well, come on. Why are we up here?”
“Ben’s going to try to catch lightning again.” The disgust in Tom’s voice was palpable.
“Catch lightning? You can catch it. Even if you were fast enough for it, it’d just melt your skin away.  Ben, why are you trying to catch lightning? It makes no sense.” John had a knack for telling the truth, even when no one wanted to hear it.
“Shh. I’m concentrating.” Ben continued to stare at the approaching storm clouds, “1…2…3”, he mumbled in between the flashes of light and muffled booms in the distance.  
“It’s no use, John. Ben’s in the zone. There’s no talking him out of this foolishness.” Tom sat next to John and picked at the small sticks littering the hill.
“What happened the last time he came up here?” A moment of fear passed through John’s expression.
“He nearly died.”
John took a slow deep breath. Whatever, Ben was about to do, he was certain he wanted no part of it. “It’s getting late. Maybe we should just try this lightning thing another day.”
“No!” Ben turned, his stare burning a hole through his friends. “I have to do this. I’ve been planning forever, checking and rechecking each calculation. The storm is of the right type. It’s going to pass directly over us. I have to do it now.” He turned back towards the ocean and started counting the time between flashes again. “1…2.” The crash of thunder startled them.
“I really think we should go,” John said as he stood.
“It’s nearly here. Tom, get my bag.” Ben pointed to the backpack casually discarded next to them.
The flashes and booms came more rapidly as the sky opened up and rain pelted the three boys.
Tom handed the pack to Ben without a word. After 28 attempts at catching lightning, he knew there was no point in trying to dissuade his friend.
Ben smiled. “”It’s going to work this time. I just know it.”
“You say that every time.” Tom swore he wouldn’t tag along on any more of these adventures, but curiosity always got the better of him.
 “But I mean it this time.”
The storm was in full swing, blowing the rain in a sideways pattern. Thunder and lightning came almost on top of each other.
It’s time, Ben thought. “Guys, get my kite.”

~~

And there it is, my unedited scene dealing with a dark and stormy night!
Wanna play along? Just take the topic and post your own creative piece. Go for it!

To see what the others have to say, check out Abby's take on the topic tomorrow. I just can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

18 comments:

  1. I love the last line suddenly gives a new meaning to the entire story. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ben. You never give up. Just make sure to place on your key. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat blog....love your side panels. Did you use Wordle for them?

    NEW FOLLOWER.

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant. Catching lightning. Ben. You = genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ben...such persistence always wins out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that last line! I was a little confused, but then it all made sense. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh Love it!!! Didn't see that coming yet it's so perfect when you hit that last line! Excellent! And love the topic :D fun fun fun! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! And the last line is awesome. Great job, Christine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic job, Christine! The end made me smile big and for that I am appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello from a fellow campaigner in the thriller/suspense group. That is better than some of the edited, rewritten umpteen times, published material I've read. Really well done. This made me think of NaNo... which is such a fun writing challenge. I think sometimes we really lose the spark in our writing with too much editing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    I'm checking in with everyone in our YA group because I've been to so many blogs lately my eyes are spinning and I've lost all track of where I've been. I enjoyed your story. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! I was expecting it to be a bottle at the end, but instead: a kite!

    Great scene, thanks for sharing, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this post, Christine. There is so much you can do with it, and yet it's really great writing all by itself. Nice job. Oh, and like Matthew said, I wasn't expecting a kite. I guess I was expecting something more...paranormal?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story - I love the light bulb moment the last line gave me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute. I thought the names were a dead giveaway (homage?), but it looks most everyone was sucked in by the voice.

    Fun ending!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha! Love the ending. I was with Eric, thinking it might be paranormal, and really it still could be. But the kite really grounded it for me. Get it? Grounded! LOL. Okay, it's late here.

    Great piece, Christine! And what a challenge. I'll be writing mine tonight. Have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work, Christine! I do love the twist the last line gives it. This is a fun prompt for the blog chain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!