Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Opening Lines and a contest!

Time for a little fun today. We always hear that opening lines are important. So, I thought we should have a little opening line contest. Here are a few opening lines from some classic books - do you recognize them?

  1. "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." 
  2. "Mother died today."
  3. "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."
  4. "It was a pleasure to burn."
  5. "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife."
And one more just for fun - 
  • "There are so many things I could’ve remembered about that night."
And now, the fun part...leave a comment listing the names or authors of as many of the quotes as you can. I will randomly draw a name on Friday and award a prize. What prize you ask? How about a copy of Blood Red Road, yes? YES!

So leave a comment, see how many of the opening lines you can guess and you could win! 

10 comments:

  1. 1. 1984 by George Orwell
    2. The Stranger by Albert Camus
    3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader by CS Lewis
    4. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    5. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

    I don't know the bonus (and neither does Google - I checked).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) 1984 G. Orwell
    2) The Stranger A. Camus
    3) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader CS Lewis
    4) Fahrenheit-451 R. Bradbury
    5) The Graveyard Book N. Gaiman
    6) Your book?

    reach me at jdejordy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. 1984 -- George Orwell
    2. The Stranger -- Albert Camus
    3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader -- CS Lewis
    4. Fahrenheit 451 -- Ray Bradbury
    5. The Graveyard Book -- Neil Gaiman

    And no idea what the last one is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, great lines :) Amazing contest, thank you :D I would love to win a copy of Blood Red Road. <3 Is it international though? Hope so :)

    1 - 1984 by George Orwell
    2 - The Stranger by Albert Camus
    3 - Voyage of the Dawn Treader by CS Lewis
    4 - Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    5 - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
    6 - I have no idea. Hih :)

    Love, Carina ~ carina-olsen@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I only knew #3 without googling :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. 1984 by George Orwell
    2. The Stranger by Albert Camus
    3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader by CS Lewis
    4. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    5. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
    6. IDK!!!!

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only know that 3. is from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and that 5. is from The Graveyard Book. Can you tell I read a lot of middle grade novels?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. 1984
    2. The Stranger
    3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    4. Fahrenheit 451
    5. The Graveyard Book

    I'm surprised I knew these, especially since I haven't read 3 and 5. Haha. Dawn Treader was a guess because I knew the character's name, and Graveyard Book, I've only read the first line of it!

    Don't know the last one. What a fun contest though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL - out of those I've only read #1 and #4, I couldn't even get those. Derp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only one I read all the way through was The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and that was so long ago, I didn't remember the quote, though it did sound familiar.

    Here's my favorite quote:
    "We're Actors, we're the opposite of people!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!