- "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." - George Orwell, 1984
- "Mother died today." - Albert Camus, The Stranger
- "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it." - CS Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- "It was a pleasure to burn." - Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
- "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife." - Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book
Oh! And the bonus - well that one was mine, from my current project, Transcend.
I hope everyone enjoyed playing! The winner of this fun little contest is:
Congrats and thanks to everyone who has participated. What is YOUR fav opening line?