Monday, July 11, 2011

A Unique Path - An Interview with Danyelle Leafty (and a Blog Tour Kick-Off)



Click Here for More About Her Tour!
Welcome to the first day of my posts dedicated to exploring and finding unique paths to publication. I thought I'd start the week with the amazing Danyelle Leafty, whose open approach to publication impresses me every day! This also happens to be the first day of her blog tour - so be sure to click on the picture for links to all of her stops.


And now - I bring you, Danyelle:



CF: Tell me a little about your thoughts on nontraditional publication and diversity (in publishing)


DL: I’m really excited about the doors non-traditional publishing is opening up. Now, more than ever, an author has more control over their own career. This, like anything, can backfire, but I think it’s a good thing over all. I like the idea that a good story that might have not worked out commercially due to timing or because of the market can still be heard.

With the control, of course, also comes the responsibility. I think it behooves any author to study the process they’re choosing and make sure they understand what they need to do to be successful. It’s also good to keep one’s expectations modest—better to be surprised than disappointed.

I’d also stress that EVERY path in publishing requires hard work and perseverance. Different options are going to have different workloads. It’s good to have an idea of what to expect before plunging in.

CF: I know you have a serialized novel - what is that and how does it work?

DL: A serialized novel is a novel that comes in bits and pieces instead of all at once. This type of novel was very popular during Charles Dickens’s time when most people couldn’t afford to purchase books.

And modern day technology can work very well with serial novels.

The way my serial novel works:

I have my first chapter up for free on my website. I did this to give people a feel for the quality of each chapter and to give a taste of the story and its personality.

If people like the chapter enough to want to read more, they can sign up for one of two subscription plans:
·        The Collectible Subscription—subscribers have access to the chapters as they go up, and will receive both an ebook version and a hardcover copy of the novel once it’s finished and has been edited. The hardcover copy will be limited, numbered, and signed.
·        The Ebook Subscription—subscribers have access to the chapters as they go up, and will receive an ebook of the novel once it’s finished and has been edited.
There is also a forum subscribers will have access to where they can ask questions, give suggestions, and discuss the book. I release two chapters a week on a Monday/Thursday schedule. I’m also doing a lot of free content that goes along with my novel. I post a journal entry from the fairy godmother every Wednesday, and update the Compendium of Fairy Godmothering Terms on a weekly basis.

CF: What about ebooks, do you have plans in that area as well?

DL: I definitely have plans for ebooks. There are four more novels in THE FAIRY GODMOTHER DILEMMA series as well as a collection of short stories. I plan on releasing the other four novels later this year, and the collection next year, as ebooks.

CF: Has the idea of diversification changed your opinions on traditional publication? Why or why not?

DL: Not really. For me, publishing is publishing, and I plan on having a foot in commercial publishing, self-publishing (serial novels and ebooks), and enhanced ebooks. I believe that so long as I produce good work with great stories, the various types of publishing will work together to build my career and make it stronger.

And like I said, I’m excited that authors have more options. I definitely think it’s important to be thoughtful about any type of publishing and to treat publishing as a business, but it’s nice to have more choices available to reach readers.

CF: What advice would you give writers about this "new world" of publishing?

DL: Have a plan. It’s a lot harder to succeed without one. 
If you’re going to do something, make sure it’s done to the best of your ability. I really can’t stress this one enough. As publishing evolves, I think more attention will be paid to the authors reputations, and with the Internet, we all live in glass houses. Don’t rush to get something up because you’re caught up in the glory of the moment. You’re putting your name to it, so make sure it’s worth it.
Don’t be afraid to try new things. The sky is no longer the limit.
Be willing to help others, and be professional at all times.
And have fun!

CF: What is next for you?

DL: Ha! Lots of things. As I said, I’m going to be releasing the entire FAIRY GODMOTHER DILEMMA series later this year, as well as set up another subscription-based serial novel that will start January 2, 2012. I’m also hoping to dip my toes into enhanced ebooks, and am querying a different series to agents right now.

Suffice it to say, I’ve got the next five years booked solid book-wise. It’s going to take a lot of hard work, but it’s definitely worth it!

THANK YOU Danyelle!!! As an extra bonus, Danyelle is giving away one ebook subscription to a random commentor. Just follow this blog, leave a comment and I will draw a name tomorrow morning. WOO HOO!!!!

And check out more about her and her books:


Danyelle Leafty writes MG and YA fantasy. In her spare time, she collects dragons, talking frogs, and fairy godmothers. She can be found discussing the art of turning one's characters into various animals, painting with words, and the best ways to avoid getting eaten by dragons on her blog. Her serial novel THE FAIRY GODMOTHER DILEMMA can be found here. You can contact her here.



THE FAIRY GODMOTHER DILEMMA:

Sixteen-year-old Breena doesn’t want to leave the faerie queen’s court, and she doesn’t want a fairy godmother. But if she has to choose between the two, she’d leave the Faerie Realm over getting bossed about by a faerie with a pointed stick any day. Unfortunately, her attempt to evade her fairy godmother gives her growing pains in the form of fur, whiskers, and a tail.

Turning into a cat is the least of her worries, though, because the potion wasn’t meant to bring out her inner feline, it was meant to put her to sleep. Forever. If Breena wants to make it to her Happily Ever After, she’ll have to accept that sometimes having a fairy godmother makes all the difference in the world.

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview! I think it's great you're going this route, Dani! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danyelle rocks my world. She is the epitome of thinking outside the box--and we all know that people who can do that usually go on to do things the rest of us think "wish I'd thought of that!"

    I love that she's blazing a trail the rest of us can follow.

    Great interview Christine and Danyelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an excellent interview with lots of well thought out questions AND answers! Well done, Danyelle! Well done, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. It's so interesting seeing how Danyelle and other authors are branching out in this time of publishing change. Good luck. And great series Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danyelle's creativity and boldness are inspiring. Also, she's insanely organized. What a plan!

    Thanks for the interview, Christine & Danyelle! It was very informative! (Oh and please don't include me in the drawing since I'm part of the blog tour.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all, for your kind thoughts and well wishes. :) I appreciate them all!

    And thank you, Christine, for being such an excellent hostess! *minion cupcakes* O:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't need to be in the draw since I'm already subscribed to Dani's novel, but I just wanted to say thanks to Christine for sharing this, and thanks to Dani for being amazing! :o) You're an inspiration, girlie. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is brilliant! Which is no surprise, since it's coming from Danyelle - - she's amazing! Fantastic interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you're working the serialized novel. I know of a few others who have done this, but they have done all the novel for free on their site, but the readers would need to purchase the completed volume (either ebook or paperback). I've thought for years that selling books by the chapter would be an interesting approach - and could work to everyone's advantage. As a reader if you start a book which is promising, but then lose interest - if you haven't purchased additional chapters, you're not out anything.

    And from the author perspective, it would be fantastic to have reader feedback - even in lack of feedback. You would know exactly at what point you lost them (if indeed you did) and would be able to focus on figuring out why.

    While this isn't exactly what you're doing. It is a step closer. Huzzah for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Danyelle's advice. It's so important these days to really think outside the box because times are changing and so is publishing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!