Skip to main content

Cursed to Write No More - a Blog Chain Extra

Yep, it's Blog Chain bonus week! I took my little hiatus last week right around the time I was supposed to post on this question. Well, the question was SO delicious, I simply had to go ahead and answer it this week. It comes from Kate, who wanted to know:
Curses, you've been cursed! You can write no longer. The story well has run dry, and you can't even remember how to type. Now what do you do? Where do you channel your creative energies? And to what lengths would you go to break the curse?
I just loved this question!

As I think stewed on how to answer this question, I realized something - I've always been writing. Yep, always.
But I haven't always written words.

Let me show you what I mean:

When I was 7, I rewrote Macbeth so my friends and I could put a "Little Rascals" styled version of the play on for family and friends.

When I was 10, I started composing (writing with music).

When I was 14, I started choreography (writing with movement).

When I was 16, I designed clothes (writing with fabric).

When I was18, I wrote a musicals (writing for the stage).

When I was 20, I choreographed fashion shows (yeah, I know you're getting the idea).

When I was 29, I started developing my own style of cooking and baking (writing with food).

When I was 35, I started my own youth choir and adapted music for it (writing with music again).

And now, when I get stuck and can't write, I redo my garden (writing with plants). Or I make book trailers (writing with pictures and music), etc etc.

Curse or not, it looks like I was born to write. In any medium, in any way I can.

There is this great quote from Sister Act 2 (don't ask) that goes something like this:

"...if when you wake up in the morning you can think of nothing but writing, then you're a writer."

Guess what...

I'M A WRITER....whether I get a chance to write words on a page or not.

How about you? Are you a writer? How do you know?

Comments

  1. I never knew there were so many different types of writing! That's a neat way to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to think about it, Christine. So all my crocheting is like writing with yarn? Sadly, because I only crochet in single chain stitch, it's more like writing the same words over and over and then sewing the paragraphs into a story than anything really creative. But still, it's something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of seeing other creative activities or outlets as other forms of "writing" - I feel the exact same way, but never put it into words in that exact way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of all you've done in your life! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would consider that more of creating than writing. But I get the idea. Looks like everyone is a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your interpretation of what "writing" means! It's all about creativity and telling a story - in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I love this and can SO relate. I *always* have music, original or otherwise, songs, poetry AND stories running through my head. I never considered it, but can totally see, how that is a type of writing. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Curse you! Writing an answer to this one even though you're on a break. Now I will have to do the same thing LOL. Great answer though, and you choice one of my most favorite quotes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!

Popular posts from this blog

Collide and Transcend in Audio Format

Wow - it has too long since my last post! A lot has happened over the past few months. First, I've decided to re-launch my entire backlist. What does this mean? New covers, new interiors, and, in some cases, new and expanded stories. It also means releasing the books in audiobook format. Audiobooks are something I've wanted to do for a while. And now it is finally happening.

In December, I released the audiobook formats of Transcend and Collide - each with new covers and new interiors in the digital and print versions. I plan on revealing the new covers for the rest of the Solomon Experiment series (the sequels to Collide) later this month, with the actual books coming in late Feb and March/April.

In Spring, I will begin the re-launch of the Requiem series, including significantly expanded stories for books 2 and 3, new covers, new titles and audiobook formats.

I don't plan on only re-releasing books in 2016. In addition to the two new books in the Solomon Experiments, I ha…

Crossroads Tour Day #5

Welcome to Day #5 of the Crossroads Tour. I hope you are having as much fun as I am! Not sure what this is? Read the post on day #1.Did you remember to enter the giveaway for the Amazon gift card? CLICK HERE to enter.

As I mentioned, I am giving away one ebook of COLLIDE during the tour. Just stop by each day, Monday through Saturday, and answer the daily question. I will randomly draw a name every evening. Easy, right?!?

For today's entry, check out my Q&A at LITTLE LIBRARY MUSE and answer this question:

Who am I trapped in an elevator with?

Leave your answers in the comments. I will draw a random winner at 10pm PST on Saturday. Good luck!

It's Release Day!

Wow! This post was a long time coming. My 6th novel (and 17th book), OUTBREAK, book #2 in the Solomon Experiments, is officially out day.

This is a special release for me. I had struggled to find my fiction mojo after my last book. Related to what was going on in my personal life and some residual feelings about my mother's death, it took me nearly 2 years to reconnect with my inner artist. The struggle was worth it, though, as I figured out some things about myself as an artist that I needed.

Now, I hope all of you will enjoy the book as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

OUTBREAK is the continuing story of Dakota, an 18 year old girl wrestling with her new awareness of abilities that make her the target of a black ops group. Here is a little more about the story:


Dakota never thought she’d crave her old life in Boresville. Not until the Creator’s assassins came and took everything, everyone, she cared about—all except for David. He’s the only thing she has left, and he wants he…