Thursday, July 21, 2011

Another Amazing Debut - The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

HAPPY THURSDAY everyone! I hope you are all enjoying a fab summer with lots of fab books! I can't believe I am back at work in a week...A WEEK! Oh well, no point it stressing over that. Much more fun to talk about books. 

But before I get to my Bookanista shout out, check out what the other Bookanistas have on tap:

Elana Johnson raves about BLOOD RED ROAD
Lisa and Laura Roecker shivers over A SCARY SCENE IN A SCARY MOVIE
Carolina Valdez Miller gushes over THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS + a giveaway
Bethany Wiggins cheers for CHIME
Rosemary Clement-Moore is enraptured by  ENTWINE
Stasia Ward Kehoe applauds THE PREDICTEDS
Scott Tracey praises SUPERNATURALLY

On to my Bookanista Shout out for THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab

Release Date: August 2, 2011

Basic Blurb: (from Amazon)
The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children. 
If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company. 
And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget.

Why I liked it: 

WOW! This book is easily one of my favorites this year! Victoria Schwab manages to weave a great story, with fabulous well-rounded characters and beautiful writing - everything I look for in a book. I think I'll break that down a little more:

  • Story line - This one felt different than many of the other books out there - it stood out in my mind as fresh; not easy in our crowded marketplace.
  • Characters - Victoria did a nice job building characters that leap off the page. I loved their authenticity. Nicely done.
  • Beautiful writing - I am a sucker for the written word - especially when it is honed and used in such a beautiful way as this book. A true delight to read

So, there you have it - my reasons for absolutely falling in  LOVE with The Near Witch. Trust me, this is a very worth while read! I can't wait to see what Ms. Schwab brings us in the future!!!

What are you reading these days?


  1. I've heard great things about this. Can't wait to read it.

    And if it makes you feel better about going back to work, I've been there all summer.

  2. SOLD! I am definitely going to read this. And soon!

  3. I loved THE NEAR WITCH too. Such a great story, written well.

  4. YES! To all these things. A remarkable read!

    As for going back to work...HUGS!

  5. Gah, I seriously CANNOT WAIT for this book to come out. Ever since I read the blurb, I was sold!

    Thanks for the review!

  6. I can't wait to read this one. (I say that a lot though. Rats! Too many enticing books!)


Thanks for your input!